Grinding disc preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding disc preference

I would like to ask if there is a preference here for grinding discs to smooth welds. Is there a brand, grit or any certain type preferred?
    I have bought a couple from Home Depot but they seem to grind slowly and don't produce a good result. Thanks

Originally posted by bulldog7 View Post
    I would like to ask if there is a preference here for grinding discs to smooth welds. Is there a brand, grit or any certain type preferred?
    I have bought a couple from Home Depot but they seem to grind slowly and don't produce a good result. Thanks
    Why are you smoothing welds? What is the result you are seeking?

Comment

W***er. W***er...W***er. I grind the crap out of things. I like smooth. I use W***er flap discs for smooth and W***er zip cut discs for quick cutting. I didn't post a Flap because I've got a 6" on a 5" with no guard and that's not a good work practice. 35 grit. Once your through the top layer which cuts real quick, it becomes slightly less aggressive, but also gives a finer polish. I posted the stars. Someone else's experience may be different? They do cost more, but they from my experience out perform and last the others available.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post
        W***er. W***er...W***er. I grind the crap out of things. I like smooth. I use W***er flap discs for smooth and W***er zip cut discs for quick cutting. I didn't post a Flap because I've got a 6" on a 5" with no guard and that's not a good work practice. 35 grit. Once your through the top layer which cuts real quick, it becomes slightly less aggressive, but also gives a finer polish. I posted the stars. Someone else's experience may be different? They do cost more, but they from my experience out perform and last the others available.
        I have 5 cheap 4-5 " grinders each with a different type of abrasive, I much prefer making making welds that do not require any grinding, to using any of them, for anything but prep for painting, or general clean-up. Most last too long to establish a "favorite",

Comment

Northweldor the reason for grinding is I need a smooth finish to paint. It is also going in the house and I just want it to look nice. My first real project is a welding table and I wont worry about grinding those welds. Thanks for your response.

Comment

oldguyfrom56, I appreciate your information. I have already taken the guard off my grinder, seems cumbersome and hard to work with. I have been a woodworker for many years and I never used the guard on a table saw either, seen people get hurt using a saw with a guard. I know its not kosher but I just don't like them...

Comment

Working...
            X