Hobart Handler 140 tripping breaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart Handler 140 tripping breaker

I have a new Hobart Handler 140. I ran new 12-3 wire 77 feet off a 20 amp breaker from my breaker box to a new dedicated 20 amp single outlet in my basement. I can spot weld 1/8" steel with no problem. When I make a 1 inch weld the breaker trips. Has anybody had this happen?

A 20AMP breaker is to small... At the top most level pushing it, it will draw 24(+) amps.... I had to go to a 30 amp breaker to weld thick stuff at top settings...

The 2.90 kVA comes from manual...

Dale
    Last edited by Dale M.; 11-04-2018, 03:25 PM.
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Thank you for responding. All I heard was must have a dedicated 20 amp breaker. I will swap out.

Comment

While the reality is that the #12 wire will be just fine on a 30A breaker, you should at least be advised that it is only allowed by the National Electric Code for a dedicated welder circuit. You're not supposed to plug anything else in to it.

Comment

Ok that's not a problem. Thank you

Comment

If your wire run is 77 feet one way, you have a fair bit of voltage drop at 20 Amps. Combine that with inrush, possibly a bit low input voltage and the power factor of a conventional transformer welder, you could easily exceed the 20A breaker if you are welding hot.
            --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
            -------------------------
            DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
            Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
              If your wire run is 77 feet one way, you have a fair bit of voltage drop at 20 Amps....
              I get about 4%. It certainly contributes.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

I get about 4%. It certainly contributes.
                MAC, it could be 4-6, depending. But all these little things add up, as you well know. And there are different breakers in different states of affair ...

(Me, I replace the fuses on my welding circuits with solid copper pennies, not these new copper-plated zinc pennies.)

All kidding aside, you have to consider the outlet quality, joint connections, ambient temperature and other stuff when you are at the limit. Get an honest 50A circuit and you should be able to run 40A all day long unless you live in a hot place.
                Last edited by usmcpop; 11-05-2018, 06:46 PM.
                --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                -------------------------
                DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
                Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

I run them on 20. The12 wont be a problem at that distance and they do pull well north of 20 when wide open. What size welding wire do you have in it. I have a linc 140, run 023 and right at the panel and never trip it. The 4% isn't much, shouldn't effect a thing. They will run quite a distance on 14 without issue except for a little operator adjustment. You can just barely tell if you run it back to back, we actually tested this.
                    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Oh I am using the sample wire that came with it, .030. I never thought of the weld wire.

Comment

Ok. I was wrong. I ran 12-2 wire 77 feet and it is tripping a 20 amp breaker. I thought it was 12-3 wire. Can I run 30 amp breaker on 12-2 wire dedicated with Hobart Handler 140?

Comment

Basically, yes you can BUT a 2 wire romex will only have hot leg( black) and neutral (white), and it does not have the safety ground.. IS it even available???

A 3 wire romex (12-2/g) will have a hot leg (black) and neutral (white) and ground (usually bare wire).... Most desirable to have 3 wire romex that has safety ground....

This is what you want in 12 gauge or larger....

You could get a roll of 12 gauge green and add it to your run if you don't have safety ground, in my mind I would not use any equipment with out safety ground wired in and tested....

Dale
                          Last edited by Dale M.; 11-09-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks Dale that is what I have. White black and Bare ground.

Comment

Originally posted by RonnieH View Post
                              Thanks Dale that is what I have. White black and Bare ground.
                              You are good to go...IS it tested?

Dale

Comment

Working...
                              X