Do you shorten your nozzles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you shorten your nozzles?

I have watched almost all of the "Tips and Tricks" videos on YouTube and one thing Jody keeps stressing is stickout and the fact that he has trimmed his nozzle to be the same length as the tip.

It seems to me that if this were a great thing to do then the welder manufacturers would be producing nozzles that length or at least offering them in that size.

Do any of you people cut them down and if you do, do you change the gas flow?
    "He who is without oil shall throw the first rod."
    Compressions 9.7:1

Originally posted by Nipper View Post
    I have watched almost all of the "Tips and Tricks" videos on YouTube and one thing Jody keeps stressing is stickout and the fact that he has trimmed his nozzle to be the same length as the tip.

It seems to me that if this were a great thing to do then the welder manufacturers would be producing nozzles that length or at least offering them in that size.

Do any of you people cut them down and if you do, do you change the gas flow?
    Yes and no!

Comment

I have a shortened one and a factory original one machine, the other machine came with the tip and nozzle already flush so that one was good enough for me. Makes a difference what mode you really want to run in most of the time and/or if you want to get a nozzle for each mode.

Comment

On my gun the stick out of mig tip is about 1/8 inch more than nozzle face, I'm good with that....

Dale
        Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Well.... That is a pretty unanimous response!

So why don't the manufacturers know this and make them that way or at least sell shorter nozzles or longer tips?

Obviously it does not harm the machine any.

Comment

So why don't the manufacturers know this and make them that way or at least sell shorter nozzles or longer tips?

Guess its a personal thing like some people prefer to use GMAW and some prefer to use FCAW (nozzle issue aside)......

Dale

Comment

I think I am sacrificing some gas shielding for better visibility. I always use a FCAW nozzle for FCAW,

Comment

The manufactures do know, actually, and do offer quite a range of tips, nozzles & guns just for those folks that want to tune things for a specific process. But from a marketing standpoint, there is no real need to complicate a sale at the hobby level to someone that has never welded. Read real closely the paragraph at the lower right.

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...o-vs-ctwd.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  The manufactures do know, actually, and do offer quite a range of tips, nozzles & guns just for those folks that want to tune things for a specific process. But from a marketing standpoint, there is no real need to complicate a sale at the hobby level to someone that has never welded. Read real closely the paragraph at the lower right.

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...o-vs-ctwd.aspx
                  OMG Sandy!!!! You can't post Lincoln stuff in a Hobart forum!!!!

But thank you! : )

I'm off to trim a nozzle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post

Guess its a personal thing like some people sizegenetics prefer to use GMAW and some prefer to use FCAW (nozzle issue aside)......

Dale
                    tell me what you want to prefer me GMAW or FCAW
                    Last edited by Tatum; 02-27-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I am not trying to tell you what to use.... I prefer GMAW for most of my work, and if conditions warrant (dirt material and breeze outdoor conditions) I fall back to FCAW..... But what you use is entirely up to you.... My original comment was only to denote you have choices...

Dale

Comment

For fcaw-(s), I usually remove the gas nozzle all together.
                        Lincoln Idealarc 250
                        Miller Bobcat 250
                        Thermal arc Hefty 2 feeder
                        Thermal Dynamics Cusmaster 52
                        Torchmate CNC Table

Comment

Working...
                        X