Battery disconnect ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery disconnect ?

Do I have to disconnect my battery on a Massey Ferguson compact tractor before welding hooks on the front loader bucket?

Might depend on whether or not you ask the electrons or the Massey Ferguson manual. Does it have any computer controlled components? I won't pretend to know how sensitive those are, though intuitively, removing a battery cable wouldn't be what makes the difference. My answer it is that no, you don't; but I'm only making an educated guess.

Comment

Shouldn't have too but..... easy enough to do. I always do on anything but I'm used to working on new vehicles from a collision standpoint. Keep your ground, (work) clamp near where you are welding always as it's safer that way.
      Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

Thanks for all who answered.

Comment

My MF GC1715 has no computer, all old school electrical and mechanical diesel injection... Probably don't need to disconnect anything...

Dale
          Last edited by Dale M.; 03-26-2018, 10:18 AM.
          Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

i've never disconnected batteries. as long as you clamp near the weld you should be fine

Comment

Originally posted by jdmac View Post
              Do I have to disconnect my battery on a Massey Ferguson compact tractor before welding hooks on the front loader bucket?
              Can we see finished project... Seem like future project for mine....

Dale

Comment

I would put the work clamp on the bucket. I've seen welders clamped to the tractor frame and the return current damage the loader arm bushings.
                Blacksmith
                Stickmate LX AC/DC
                Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
                Hand cranked coal forge
                Freon bottle propane forge
                HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Hi From my experience with farm tractors, Always disconnect the battery or alternator before welding"
                  I know from experience,

Comment

Originally posted by joe millar View Post
                    Hi From my experience with farm tractors, Always disconnect the battery or alternator before welding"
                    I know from experience,
                    What happened?

Comment

Originally posted by joe millar View Post
                      I know from experience,
                      Yeah, you'll need to provide some specifics. What part were you welding on and what happened?

Comment

Most writings/instruction I have read about MIG welding states to put ground clamp as close to weld location as possible, so if it would be in my opinion the clamp should be on bucket if you are welding on bucket and not be lazy and just stick it anywhere, suppose same would go for stick or TIG ....

Dale

Comment

Hi If I forget to disconnect when welding on anything attached to the tractor A few days later, there will be a red light showing
                          telling me the alternator is not charging Happen again recently, in a hurry, welded the bucket on my backhoe Had to get the alternator serviced again
                          This is always stick welding though, I don't know if the same applies to mig? But I wouldn't risk it

Comment

I have welded on 1000's of cars, trucks, tractors, a couple air planes. Literally 1000.s I never unhook. Hundreds of thousands of expensive trucks ae used as welding platforms every day without incident. It has always been standard advice to hook to the piece you are welding to as directly as possible no matter what the process.
                            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I wouldn't bother for welding but I do install aftermarket knife switches on my trucks to keep batteries from draining when not in use and for maintenance convenience. It's worth noting disconnecting the battery doesn't necessarily protect anything else nor is there any theoretical reason it should.

Comment

Working...
                              X