Need some help with ar400 plate weld procedure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with ar400 plate weld procedure

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, but not new to welding. I have a question though, I have a grapple for a Skidsteer that needs rebuilding, new pins and bushings and a new claw on one side. Bushings will be welded to the ar400, bushing will be a DOM 3" x .5" wall pins will be 2" welded to the other plate, preheated and slow cooled. My question is, is it going to be okay to weld with 70 wire? If not what about buying the Hobart wire alloy e71t-11 it's a gasless flux corre wire. Or can I stick weld it with a common rod. Or do I need to bite the bullet and make the trip to my weld supply and get the 7100 ultra? My problem is it's a lot more $, I have to wait until Friday to make the trip, and I rarely will ever need it. I'm running a 90/10 gas now for spray is it entirely necessary to go with the 75/25 gas for the flux core for this one job? So in all I'll weld the pins and the bushings to the plate as well as rebuild the one claw with ar plate. The old grapple was obviously fixed by a farmer in the past so I'm positive it was just 70 wire you start with, but it was abused, used to pull a lot of stuff, rather than lifting straight up like it should be used. So that's the reason it was broken, I know that after I get it back to the customer it will be taken care of a lot better. So any help would be much appreciated, I'd love to just burn it in with 70 being careful with preheat post heat, slow cool, and peening it.

I would use 7018 with a little preheat. 200 - 250 degrees.

Comment

What's the difference between 7018 rod and er70-s6? I know how to weld and a lot of the ins and outs, but I'm not so good on the technical stuff.

Comment

7018 is a low hydrogen process. I would not trust solid wire to achieve the strength and ductility needed to hold on AR I have used 7100 Ultra on ar with good luck. But you stated you did not want to buy a spool for this small job.

Comment

Thanks for the help weldor, but wouldn't preheating it and slow cooling it help with the hydrogen? So the ar plate to the 4140 pins should be fine with the 7018 correct?

Comment

4140 to AR is another whole problem. I am not sure that will work without some problems. Are you running these sleeves through the AR or do you just want to butt the sleeves to the AR. The best option would be to make the sleeves out of 1018 cold rolled and press a hardened bushing into the sleeve. What material are you using for pins? If you use 4140 for both the pins and bushings the odds are good they will gall. Even when well greased.

Comment

The bushings will be welded to the plate, pins will be welded in place as well. My plan is to preheat everything to 200+ and slow cool, probably throwing a little heat on it while it cools. Weld it with the 7018. Pins will be basically plug welded into place. The bushings will be welded about %50 around, bevelled to 5/16 and a 3/8 fillet on top.

Comment

Ideally it would be beneficial to allow for removal of the pins for repair at a later date. As time goes on it will wear and need tightened up. I guess I don't understand why the bushings are only welded half way around. That to me would seem to be a weak point.

Comment

You can see in the picture why it's welded half way around, it's the way the part is designed. You can also see how mangled it is lol

Comment

The pin is welded to the top plate, I cut the ear off to get the old pin out

Comment

You definitely have your work cut out for you. Did that pin originally run threw that link the base of the cylinder is hooked to and tie into the bottom piece that is shown in the picture. You could use some thinner bosses and repair all the ends that are torn out so the pin would be able to be removed later.
                      It is amazing how people can make junk out of a perfectly good machine thought. lol

Comment

The pin was welded to the top plate, went into the bushing, which is welded to the plate, and down to the small link part where the bottom end is welded. So yea there's going to be some major clean up but I've got some room to work, I bid it at 10-15 hours.
                        Yes it's impressive how mangled they got it

Comment

I would put odds on it that most of that is built out of mild steel, 572 grade 50 at best. Myself I would shy away from using 4140 for that bushing if you are going to use AR for the claw. Take a file and run across that stuff. I'll bet it is all mild steel.

Comment

I've done several excavator and front end loader buckets. Gouged off the worn out wear plate and welded on the new wear plate. AR400.
                            I've welded it with both 7018 and 70s-6 solid wire with 75/25. Both processes work fine.
                            Lincoln Idealarc 250
                            Miller Bobcat 250
                            Thermal arc Hefty 2 feeder
                            Thermal Dynamics Cusmaster 52
                            Torchmate CNC Table

Comment

Thanks guys for the help, after talking with the customer doing some more research and comparing costs I'll be doing the ar plate, the bottom piece on the claw that goes across the end is beat up pretty bad, all wore out. The piece of ar I can get is a drop so it's going to be cheaper than getting the grade 50 in the long run and I'll have extra anyways. I'll burn it with er70-s6 and preheat everything with a slow cool. The pins I will most likely burn with 7018 taking extra time to preheat and slow cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X