Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long should nozzles and tips last?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • how long should nozzles and tips last?

    i've had my 210 MVP since November and in that time only used it enough to go through most of a 2lb roll of wire. in that time my tip still looked fine(to me) and the nozzle was pretty much new aside from some splatter. last weekend a friend borrowed it to work on his car and in the time it took him to finish off that 2lb roll of wire he had melted the nozzle enough that the tip came out past it and the hole in the tip was about 3 times the normal size. he called me up asking if i had any spares which i did then only 30 minutes later he had ruined that nozzle and tip as well.

    now if i can go 6 months without any issues wtf is he doing to ruin 2 nozzles and tips in less then a day? when i called him on it he just said "well that's what happens sometimes". this same friend is the one that taught me enough to get started and always seemed to be a decent welder but i refuse to accept that excuse.

    i don't mind lending things out every so often but he doesn't seem to want to cover the costs either. those nozzles are $22 a piece here and actually very hard to find. it took me 3 months to find the spare i had and yesterday 5 different stores just to find another

  • #2
    Originally posted by Andy578 View Post
    i've had my 210 MVP since November and in that time only used it enough to go through most of a 2lb roll of wire. in that time my tip still looked fine(to me) and the nozzle was pretty much new aside from some splatter. last weekend a friend borrowed it to work on his car and in the time it took him to finish off that 2lb roll of wire he had melted the nozzle enough that the tip came out past it and the hole in the tip was about 3 times the normal size. he called me up asking if i had any spares which i did then only 30 minutes later he had ruined that nozzle and tip as well.

    now if i can go 6 months without any issues wtf is he doing to ruin 2 nozzles and tips in less then a day? when i called him on it he just said "well that's what happens sometimes". this same friend is the one that taught me enough to get started and always seemed to be a decent welder but i refuse to accept that excuse.

    i don't mind lending things out every so often but he doesn't seem to want to cover the costs either. those nozzles are $22 a piece here and actually very hard to find. it took me 3 months to find the spare i had and yesterday 5 different stores just to find another
    He is not a very good welder is the short and to the point answer. The tips are an expendable thing and can go without notice but it's usually a setting or trying to weld uncleaned metal that causes the weld to explode and fuse the wire and tip together. A nozzle can go many years unless spray arcing, (high current) and dipping the nozzle edge into the molten puddle.

    Either your friend cannot see what he is doing and doesn't know what he's doing to correct, or he is willing to allow you to fund an education along with your equipment. I have a 225 amp welder I purchased in 1989 new and it still has the original nozzle installed. I can't count on both hands the numbers of 33# spools of wire that has run through this machine over those years but the nozzle, although worn, is still working well and has plenty of meat left to it.
    Thanks for reading/listening.

    Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

    Comment


    • #3
      that's what i thought. honestly he does know how to weld or at least he did. he's helped me a few times and never had any issues like this. i think somethings changed with him, he had the nerve to tell me to go buy more tips, nozzles, wire and refill the gas and never offered to pay anything. it's very unlike him, anything we've done in the past we've always shared the costs so i don't know why he's being like this now but it's really pissing me off. **** we've shared the oxy/acetylene for a couple years now and we've always split the refills and now he even told me to refill them without offering to pay despite the fact he used about 75% of it this time around

      like i said i don't mind sharing a bit and i know consumables are consumables but what he did was ridiculous. the tips are cheap enough i don't care but those nozzles are pricey and hard to find not to mention the wire and gas

      here's a pic of the nozzles he blew through. second one was using the flux core sample that came with the welder as i was unwilling to just run out and buy more wire for him.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	666738
      Last edited by Andy578; 04-04-2017, 07:19 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Of coarse number one, I have never and won't lone out my welders. If you have something that needs worked on -------------bring it over. Number two, if I was silly enough to loan it out, don't call me up and ask for a spare anything---------------go get it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Andy578 View Post
          that's what i thought. honestly he does know how to weld or at least he did. he's helped me a few times and never had any issues like this. i think somethings changed with him, he had the nerve to tell me to go buy more tips, nozzles, wire and refill the gas and never offered to pay anything. it's very unlike him, anything we've done in the past we've always shared the costs so i don't know why he's being like this now but it's really pissing me off. **** we've shared the oxy/acetylene for a couple years now and we've always split the refills and now he even told me to refill them without offering to pay despite the fact he used about 75% of it this time around

          like i said i don't mind sharing a bit and i know consumables are consumables but what he did was ridiculous. the tips are cheap enough i don't care but those nozzles are pricey and hard to find not to mention the wire and gas

          here's a pic of the nozzles he blew through. second one was using the flux core sample that came with the welder as i was unwilling to just run out and buy more wire for him.

          [ATTACH]38569[/ATTACH]
          Far too much heat for the job at hand. All the aforementioned factors probably come into play here and I'd get the machine back before the surging current of abusing it like that takes it's toll on your equipment. Not to berate your friend but if you don't put a stop to this abuse you will be paying a heavy price in equipment repairs/replacement. Maybe you show him but with the gaul displayed already, I probably wouldn't chance it.
          Thanks for reading/listening.

          Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

          Comment


          • #6
            I have had my HH 140 for about 4 years... Have run at least 5-6 (or more) , 2 pound rolls of wire through it ... Still on original nozzle and maybe used up 3 (or 4) tips for various reasons.... GO GET IT BACK from buddy before he totally ruins it... There is a problem there with his (new) attitude...

            Dale
            Last edited by Dale M.; 04-04-2017, 09:56 PM.
            Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Auto Affair View Post
              Far too much heat for the job at hand. All the aforementioned factors probably come into play here and I'd get the machine back before the surging current of abusing it like that takes it's toll on your equipment. Not to berate your friend but if you don't put a stop to this abuse you will be paying a heavy price in equipment repairs/replacement. Maybe you show him but with the gaul displayed already, I probably wouldn't chance it.
              oh it's already back, no way i was gonna leave it after that. he can't use it anyway since he used up all the wire, gas, tips and nozzles lol. he also knows i'm not happy, told him he could finish(not much left) but only if i'm the one doing the welding. really no idea where his new attitude is coming from but if he keeps it up we won't be friends much longer, it's not even about the money really

              Comment


              • #8
                I got one 25 years old and used near every day for 10. I can go a long time on a tip too.
                http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

                Comment


                • #9
                  You don't need friends like that.
                  Blacksmith
                  Stickmate LX AC/DC
                  Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
                  Hand cranked coal forge
                  Freon bottle propane forge
                  HH 210 and bottle of C25

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm definitely not a very good welder and I have the same welder that I bought new last winter and have gone through a 10 lb wheel of 035 wire and still have my nozzle and changed the tip because the second wheel is 030. The 035 tip is in the drawer with the rest of my tips. Use the plastic FCAW nozzle with flux core and it is easier to maintain stick out.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      How long of the stick out are you using there. keeping the arc to close to the tip may cause the problems. The longer stick out will give you the better gas coverage & also moves the heat away from the tip. And if you are welding with the gas nozzle turned on, try taking it off.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DonaldE View Post
                        ... if you are welding with the gas nozzle turned on, try taking it off.
                        Can you clarify what you mean by this, please?

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X