Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A decent rate to charge?

This is in the NYC area.

An acquaintance wants me to fab 3 sets of stairs, two basement and one exterior, in a building he's renovating. He'll have all the stock delivered but I will need to do some (or possibly all of the) cutting on site. Because it's a pain to rent plasma cutters he wants to rent my cutter and compressor in the deal, and as long as I'm delivering that I might as well bring the stick welder too.

He wasn't into the $50 an hour I originally suggested before all the gear got roped in, but now that seems fair. Thoughts?
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX, air-cooled & footpedal
    Hypertherm 380
    Dinky Ingersoll-Rand compr. w/ line filter and condensation filter
    Lincoln O/A
    Electrolytic derusting tank
    Asstd powertools

Originally posted by bomscho View Post
    This is in the NYC area.

An acquaintance wants me to fab 3 sets of stairs, two basement and one exterior, in a building he's renovating. He'll have all the stock delivered but I will need to do some (or possibly all of the) cutting on site. Because it's a pain to rent plasma cutters he wants to rent my cutter and compressor in the deal, and as long as I'm delivering that I might as well bring the stick welder too.

He wasn't into the $50 an hour I originally suggested before all the gear got roped in, but now that seems fair. Thoughts?
    If you carry liability exposure insurance and feel you need to cover it's cost in your work, I'd say $50.00 an hour is not enough money.

I get between $100, and $125 an hour for mobile work dependent upon hours of day or night, customer attitude, weather, etc. (all inclusive) as I do want to protect both myself, and customer base. Yes there are those local whom work for less, but I stay busy doing my own thing and see no reason to change. I know the cost of living and doing business is higher in NY state than in the midwest, so if it were I, there would be no interest in the job for me.

Not to be a smart azz but if you feel your work is only worth $50.00 an hour then no problem. I do consider mine worthy of more but I do carry all the necessary insurances as I don't plan to lose what I have in a lawsuit should it come to that. This sounding like a commercial job would be a red flag of concern right from the start.
    Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

need a better return

If you don't have the insurance to cover blame for future accidents on the stairs you are putting yourself and family in a financial risk. As far as the equipment goes, how about $30 a day per machine? I am an employee at a small company and I had a Hobart 210mvp I used for field work on a job 3 times and let others use 3-4 times. The machine was roughly handled and the multi voltage plug was broken, but we found a spare. After 2 more days of use there was no longer power on the circuit board to run the drive motor. I attribute this solely to rough handling by others. The same model welder in the shop works flawlessly. The machine that is now relegated to a shelf as a parts machine was too heavy for my liking anyway, so I cut a deal with my employer.
      My point is you need to charge a reasonable amount for use of your equipment. If he doesn't like it, tell him he can hire a pro and pay the standard, mobile rate.
      Last edited by gatemaker; 03-24-2016, 02:43 PM.
      fence and gate shop worker
      At home...
      Lincoln Power MIG 180....
      Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

thank you gents

good advice. i'd rather get a better deal out of the guy than hang in the wind. We'll see what he says
        Hypertherm 380
        Lincoln O/A
        Asstd powertools

Comment

ler us know how the deal goes.

I don't mean to sound negative, but many think that ...since you already have the machines....blah blah.
          fence and gate shop worker
          At home...
          Lincoln Power MIG 180....
          Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Originally posted by gatemaker View Post
            I don't mean to sound negative, but many think that ...since you already have the machines....blah blah.
            Yes and without regards of what it took to get there.
            Last edited by Auto Affair; 03-25-2016, 09:42 PM.

Comment

And there is also the phrase something like (and I probably don't have it exact) "you are paying me for what I have learned over the years, not for the amount of time I am here".....

And if he is "renting" machine is he going to pay for repairs or replacement if it dies?

Dale
              "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

This is in the NYC area.

It sounds as though you haven't really worked through a contract proposal, and even though you are talking an hourly rate at present, this is something I always did anyway, on all jobs. This resulted from having lost piles of money on some jobs, before I learned better. Once you know what your costs are, its fairly easy to determine a rate that will give you a decent profit. Machine-rental is a distraction, and should be negotiated separately, and can be determined from commercial rental rates.

If you need help doing this, Esab has an outline (dated) here.

http://www.esabna.com/euweb/awtc/lesson9_1.htm

Comment

Maybe he should call these guys.

http://www.arearentalsinc.com/equipm...ry&category=32

Comment

so here's the deal...

Thanks for all the input! And seeing the new responses, I expect some head-shaking...

I settled for $45/hr+consumables+$30 per day per machine. It's cash paid daily so my name's not on it and his insurance is the only recourse. I'm quite comfortable saying I'm not as skilled as most if not all of you, and that these rates seem fair based on my experience, especially considering I'm only doing stick on clean 3/8" stock which after years of TIG is the cakiest cake ever. Since I'll have an assistant to rig the pieces, all I have to do is cut and weld, my favorite parts.

I welcome any further comments and maybe I'll have more to say when I get started
                    Last edited by bomscho; 03-28-2016, 08:20 PM.
                    Hypertherm 380
                    Lincoln O/A
                    Asstd powertools

Comment

It's been an educational thread for sure.
                      You seem confident in your decision, and I for one don't fault that !
                      ========================
                      I'll just mention that if my 40 years have taught me anything,
                      it's that.............

People interacting, is like quantum mechanics.
                      Once you set something in motion, something tends to happen,
                      and it is ..... things become Entangled !

Best of luck!
                      sigpicViceGrip
                      Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

It can be amazing what lawyers can/will dig up whether your name is on it or not. It's about the only reason I carry the liability exposure insurance and charge accordingly. I do perform several "cash jobs" per year, (claiming the income) where my name is nowhere on any paperwork, but people get real weak in the knees when pressed during a lawsuit involving product or installation liability during litigation. All it takes is a single person to state "so&so" welded that staircase, (in this scenario) and you are in no means "off the hook" as the ride will be just beginning. It's at this point the liability insurance is cheap money spent up front to cover your azz. We can thank this sue happy society we live in for it's necessity.

Chances are nothing will ever go wrong, or fail; I know that. I'm also not a disseminator of "doom & gloom" but have been closely involved with being sued, and the defendant shelling out a high six figure amount to close the lawsuit as being less expensive than further litigation. I can only imagine what a stairway collapse with multiple injuries and no insurance in place would be like.

Just my opinion but I still don't think the job is worth the risk but the call's not mine to make. Regardless I wish you good fortune with whatever you decide and proceed with.

Comment

Post #12

Post #12 pretty much!
                          sigpicViceGrip
                          Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Auto Affair is right. Not having your name on it doesn't shield you from litigation; anyone who ever showed up on site and performed any work, design services or provided materials could be named. The insurance carried by the customer only covers his exposure. The insurance company has no contract with you to cover you if a suit is pressed. And hiring a helper might expose you to a workmens-comp coverage violation with the state depending on how the regulations read in NY. Yes, it does suck how things have evolved.
                            CanoeCruiser
                            Harris dual-stage O/A
                            Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
                            Hobart IronMan 210
                            Lincoln PowerMig 135
                            Miller 3035 spoolgun
                            Thermal Arc 185
                            Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
                            Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
                            Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Thanks for all the input! And seeing the new responses, I expect some head-shaking...

I settled for $45/hr+consumables+$30 per day per machine. It's cash paid daily so my name's not on it and his insurance is the only recourse. I'm quite comfortable saying I'm not as skilled as most if not all of you, and that these rates seem fair based on my experience, especially considering I'm only doing stick on clean 3/8" stock which after years of TIG is the cakiest cake ever. Since I'll have an assistant to rig the pieces, all I have to do is cut and weld, my favorite parts.

I welcome any further comments and maybe I'll have more to say when I get started
                              Sounds reasonable now, although you aren't going to make your fortune on this job!

Comment

Working...
                              X