AWS Certification question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AWS Certification question

I know it's late asking this, but I'm going to anyway!

I took a MIG certification course at my local college, Elgin Community College, and passed my uphill and overhead tests on 3/8" plate and got my papers-----or so I thought! That's the question. (see attached pics)

I was always expecting something more 'official' from AWS, that being the standard, governing body or whatever, but all I got were these print outs from the college. Now I read that these are supposed to be sent to AWS to actually get the REAL certificates??

Can someone please clarify this? I'm sure the cert. wouldn't be current anyway, by this time, but just for my own efforts, it would be nice to have the official documentation that I worked for, practiced for, and paid for!

If anyone can clarify 'certification' and what it means to actually be certified, I'd appreciate it. Could I honestly call myself a 'certified welder' if I had gotten these documents from AWS and do you think they would still send me them (although probably outdated!) just because I think I was supposed to get them?

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	668469Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	668470Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	668471
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MarkG; 01-27-2016, 03:14 PM.

Seems to me you are "college course" certified with satisfactory completion, but no where on document I can see is it stated AWS certification, only that you have completed course to AWS certification standards...

Dale
    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

(Test paperwork pictured below)

So then what's the difference, I guess is my next question? The instructor who witnessed and stamped it is a AWS CWI, they were the 3G and 4G tests done to AWS D1.1 standards and passed visual and bend tests per AWS. Why shouldn't I get an AWS certificate? It states on the paperwork that I was tested in accordance to the requirements of 5C and AWS D1.1.

What else is required to get certified if that's not enough? What requirements have not been met?

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	666444

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	666445

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	666446

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	666447
      Last edited by MarkG; 01-27-2016, 11:22 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=MarkG;548099](Test paperwork pictured below)

So then what's the difference, I guess is my next question? The instructor who witnessed and stamped it is a AWS CWI, they were the 3G and 4G tests done to AWS D1.1 standards and passed visual and bend tests per AWS. Why shouldn't I get an AWS certificate? It states on the paperwork that I was tested in accordance to the requirements of 5C and AWS D1.1.

What else is required to get certified if that's not enough? What requirements have not been met?=QUOTE]

You are thinking AWS certification is somehow a system similar to journeyman certification in Canada and many other countries, and this is not true. Even if your certification is kept up to date, which is a nuisance and costs, you still have to retest if you let it expire AND keep a record of continuous welding to this standard. Pretty useless system, but a great revenue generator for AWS!
        Jody answers almost all questions in the article below:

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...ification.html
        Last edited by Northweldor; 01-28-2016, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks----that's kind of what I was thinking, plus the fact that another employer is going to want to test you anyway. Seems kind of pointless to do again unless required by a potential employer.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
            Thanks----that's kind of what I was thinking, plus the fact that another employer is going to want to test you anyway. Seems kind of pointless to do again unless required by a potential employer.
            Right, and what you have might jump you over others in getting an employer to pay for that test!

Comment

Does anyone know if this diploma is now recognized anywhere? I also want to sign up for these courses, but not sure if it will make sense.

Comment

https://weldingtipsandtricks.com/wel...ification.html
                "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

I have this diploma, it helped me to get a job here at a small welding service.

Comment

Working...
                  X