Stupid electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid electrical question

My new year's resolution is going to be: have a licensed electrician put (at least one) 220v line into my shop. I melted my second 20A female connector that i spliced onto an extension cord that I *think* is bigger than a 15A (heaviest gauge i could get at box store). I connect either plasma cutter or welder to it and the plasma cutter has melted two connectors.

I'm running off a 20A breaker. I was cutting 3/8" plate for about 10 min at 17A on the plasma cutter (first one I melted running at 20) but even that melted the connector.

OK, I'm ready for pics of burning houses now
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX, air-cooled & footpedal
    Hypertherm 380
    Dinky Ingersoll-Rand compr. w/ line filter and condensation filter
    Lincoln O/A
    Electrolytic derusting tank
    Asstd powertools

Originally posted by bomscho View Post
    My new year's resolution is going to be: have a licensed electrician put (at least one) 220v line into my shop. I melted my second 20A female connector that i spliced onto an extension cord that I *think* is bigger than a 15A (heaviest gauge i could get at box store). I connect either plasma cutter or welder to it and the plasma cutter has melted two connectors.

I'm running off a 20A breaker. I was cutting 3/8" plate for about 10 min at 17A on the plasma cutter (first one I melted running at 20) but even that melted the connector.

I use extension cords all the time at home, but never under-rated. I have 50A 220 outlets at either end of my shop and 3 x 25' 50A #8 extensions that allow me to work anywhere in the shop, and more than 75' away, without starving machines for voltage or any overheating. Overkill, but much better than the alternative you mention. (BTW, bought those extensions for $25 each, on sale!).
    Last edited by Northweldor; 12-31-2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

The store should have what you need. You might not have looked or asked for what you need. (I really dont understand what you're saying.)

I can see thinking you might get by once with something you know isnt right but why you did it again is a bit weird. You are on the web, even if the store didnt have it why not order it.

If worse came to worse a guy might even consider limiting cutting time to quit messing up stuff.

Comment

OK. What's the breaker, what's the wire gauge going to the outlet and what are you plugging in? On the extension cord, do you have the properly matched connectors? And don't expect to use some cheap Wally Mart cord to glue it all together.

We made up a ten foot 50 Amp patch cord the other day to go from a stove plug to a welder plug. The cord was 6/3 SOOW made in USA 600 volt rated. $3.50 a foot for the wire from the electrical supplier 1/8th mile from the Home Depot.
        --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
        -------------------------

Comment

Remember to NOT have the uneeded remainder of extention-cords close-coiled
          as it further exaccerbates your troubles by creating even more drag on the circuit.

Same with your weld leads.
          vg
          sigpicViceGrip
          Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

I was thinking you meant Lowes as a box store. I honestly don't know what the definition of a box store is and all this new crap terms and definitions i have not interest in learning as i have enough trouble learning pertinent terms and definitions. Walmart I dont think would have what you need in this case. Was there evidence of arcing in the connection?

Pop, i was kinda surprised as i guess you were to find an electrical store having better prices than Lowes in the heavy cord department.

Comment

If you are burning receptacles (female portion) or plugs (male portions) you are probably using really poor quality materials (plugs).....

A 20 amp breaker and a 12 gauge extension cord should handle the 17 amp of the plasma cutter with no problems....

Hobart recommends a 20amp breaker and allows for a 30ft 12 gauge cord for their 110volt welders and after a long haul of welding my plugs have not even become warm.... So if concept is good for welder then why not plasma cutters.....

Walk a way for Lowes and Home Depot and go to electrical supply (specialty) store/warehouse and buy quality replacement parts..... Try to find some parts that are Made in USA....

Dale
              "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Personally, I'd think that the problem lies less with the quality of the electrical bits and pieces and more with the mismatch of those same pieces. I was unable to download the manual from Hypertherm for the 380 plasma as the site appears to be down at the moment, but the original poster has done quite a bit of guessing with a near total lack of specifics before constructing his cord. Let's hear what size/length/gauge cord was used, the amp draw of the Hypertherm 380...17 amps for 3/8" seems a bit low and pictures would help. Also, I don't like to see the word 'spliced' when reading about homebrew electrical work...was this a misunderstanding on my part and the receptacle was really just a standard receptacle with screw-down wire connections or has some real electrical butchery been done here?
                Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyoming View Post
                  Also, I don't like to see the word 'spliced' when reading about homebrew electrical work...was this a misunderstanding on my part and the receptacle was really just a standard receptacle with screw-down wire connections or has some real electrical butchery been done here?
                  Oh the things I've seen in that catagory
                  sigpicViceGrip
                  Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

All the above....

I have 'extension cords' on all my welders and plasma, the standard cords are too short. I should say cables not cords. I use neoprene covered stranded electrical cable in the proper gage with the proper male and Female plugs and I usually twist and solder the ends, not always, but usually.
                    So little time...So many machine tools.........
                    www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
                    Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
                    Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
                    Harris OA
                    Too many motorcycles.............-
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow, only 17amps... Must be something wrong with the wiring, I can't see (even with plasma) that tripping a 20 amp breaker.
                      Well, with a thermal dynamics anyway.

And I can weld out in the street if I so choose. My idealarc has 3-phase power, and a 20-22ft power cable, and soon to have a 6 gauge extension cord that's about 27ft.

And we got everything from Home Depot. 30 ft of 6 gauge bought for the price of 20ft.

IMO: always when possible have a bigger power cord. Only need 14? Go with 12. Just wise if you can and if its safe.
                      sigpic
                      Eastwood MIG135, never fails to make me wonder.
                      Lincoln idealarc 300/250: runs like it was made today. Looks like its seen some better days. Origin is Ashland lumber mill. Ready to go. Needs some new leads and a little specialty TLC.
                      Harris oxyacetylene set, 20cf oxy and 10cf ace
                      youtube channel :
                      http://m.youtube.com/#/user/Hobbywelder617

Comment

For 115 volt tools id recommend a 10 guage cord they sell cheap at harbor freight and are pretty good remember over kill is a good thing when welding
                        Miller Trailblazer 251
                        Lincoln Electric Pro-Core 125
                        14''chop saw
                        7 inch grinder,2-4.5 inch grinders,electric die grinder
                        half inch drill
                        And alot of hand tools

Comment

Originally posted by Hobby welder View Post
                          And I can weld out in the street if I so choose. My idealarc has 3-phase power, and a 20-22ft power cable, and soon to have a 6 gauge extension cord that's about 27ft.
                          D a m n dude, you have three-phase at your house?!?
                          CanoeCruiser
                          Harris dual-stage O/A
                          Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
                          Hobart IronMan 210
                          Lincoln PowerMig 135
                          Miller 3035 spoolgun
                          Thermal Arc 185
                          Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
                          Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
                          Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Originally posted by canoecruiser View Post
                            D a m n dude, you have three-phase at your house?!?
                            I wish, but because it WAS run in three phase at the lumber mill, that ordered a custom wiring setup, so the power cable is about 3 times bigger than the 6 gauge wire I have. So it can be run longer as it was constantly moved.

The dam thing has a 40ft stinger lead. A 15ft ground cable. It was run in three phase for TWO known reasons, 1: it ran a better arc. 2: it would allow less draw and not starve the machine while at high amps at the mill.

And again, I wish I had 3-phase, then I could buy just about any welder I want (if I could afford it) and not get concern over the draw too much.
                            sigpic
                            Eastwood MIG135, never fails to make me wonder.
                            Lincoln idealarc 300/250: runs like it was made today. Looks like its seen some better days. Origin is Ashland lumber mill. Ready to go. Needs some new leads and a little specialty TLC.
                            Harris oxyacetylene set, 20cf oxy and 10cf ace
                            youtube channel :
                            http://m.youtube.com/#/user/Hobbywelder617

Comment

Originally posted by bomscho View Post

Well, you didn't get the pics, but you certainly got plenty of advice, (all of the above was in your plasma manual anyway, right?). You didn't tell us, but I suspect that you were using a dual voltage plasma and tried to work at near max output on 110. Is that right? Also, I think the above is referring to amperage on the plasma cutter, or output, rather than the input.
                              Last edited by Northweldor; 01-01-2013, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X