Power surge protection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power surge protection?

So I'm on the eastern seaboard, like i figure some on here are. I'm hoping to get some work done this weekend in spite of that bettch Irene. How does one connect their welder/plasma to AC power when there is any danger of surge/overload? I have a sneaking suspicion that the answer will either be a) expensive or b) you don't...

but thought I'd ask.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX, air-cooled & footpedal
    Hypertherm 380
    Dinky Ingersoll-Rand compr. w/ line filter and condensation filter
    Lincoln O/A
    Electrolytic derusting tank
    Asstd powertools

There is a possibility of a surge if the high voltage wires get slammed into the low voltage wires, but unless the wind is really blowing, I'd say the risk is low. I'm a little beat tonight from physical therapy on my hip and moving some stuff indoors and have taken a muscle relaxer. Therefore I'm limiting my equipment operation tonight to the TV and computer, but tomorrow morning, if it's not roaring and my hip feels better, I plan to be welding. It's not supposed to reach 100% suck in Virginia Beach until tomorrow afternoon/evening.
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Blacksmith, this may come in too late for your question but you can have some piece of mind knowing this info and installing an whole house surge suppression unit at your service panel. This will take care of any external surges that find their way to your house or place of business. Look at the manufacturers name on your service panel (square d,siemins,ge whoever) then google that name with the word surge suppressing and it should give you their surge suppression unit. If they do not have one there are a number of other manufacturer (square d, etc) who's units can be used along side of your service panel. Just follow the directions or have a licensed electrician install one for you. They are quite pricy but they do work. When you consider what you have paid for all your solid state equipment, these units are really inexpensive insurance!!! Hope this info is of help to you in the future. PS I am not talking about surge suppessin strips here but am talking about service panel surge suppression! Bob

Comment

I'm not the one that asked the question about surge suppression, but thank you for the info. Many years ago the Home Quarters chain (based in Virginia Beach) went out of business and I picked up a whole house suppressor quite cheaply. It's nice to open the panel door and see the two little green lights showing I'm protected.
        Blacksmith
        Stickmate LX AC/DC
        Hand cranked coal forge
        HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

I know the feeling!!!! Bob

Comment

Back to the storm, it was 95% suck this morning so once again I'm limited to operating the computer and TV. Have to open the garage door and weld near the opening for ventilation and safety and I think there's something about welding in the rain (and it's not a song). Maybe tomorrow.
            Blacksmith
            Stickmate LX AC/DC
            Hand cranked coal forge
            HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
              I think there's something about welding in the rain (and it's not a song).
              LOL

Thanks, I figured it was more complicated than a power strip. Didn't weld at all this weekend, but didn't have any real Irene problems either. Hope the same was true for all here.

Incidentally, this reminds me of another question: it's said the electricity out my way is "dirty," or varies in voltage. I've looked at the stick welder when it's on and seen some wandering voltage but just a few decimals. Is this anything to worry about?
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX, air-cooled & footpedal
              Hypertherm 380
              Dinky Ingersoll-Rand compr. w/ line filter and condensation filter
              Lincoln O/A
              Electrolytic derusting tank
              Asstd powertools

Comment

Working...
              X