Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels

I am building a BBQ pit out of 22 inch pipie quarter inch wall. It will be 28 inches long. What kind of ideas do you'll have for wheels for it? They will have to be fairly sturdy.

Heavy duty casters,,, I assume your going to have legs on it.

Comment

Yes it will have legs on it.

Comment

If you have access to a large bandsaw, cut some 2" slices from large steel pipe ( say, 8"), then make a simple jig (could be wood) to hold a piece of thick walled pipe centered, drill and tap for zerk fitting, then weld some rod or rebar in for spokes. 'would add a real hand crafted look!

It would be a snap to make it to accommodate a bearing, but you really shouldn't need one for occasional moves.
        Last edited by Hotfoot; 11-28-2010, 10:34 PM.
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Here is what I did on a pit I built awhile back. None of it is exact and there is defiantly more play then whats in a bearing but I bet it won't seize up either.

Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
          MM211 AS and Spool-Mate 100.
          Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
          O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
          Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
          4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
          Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
          Jackson Passive Shade #5 for the plasma.
          I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.
          Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums
          http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

Originally posted by Tom37 View Post
            Here is what I did on a pit I built awhile back. None of it is exact and there is defiantly more play then whats in a bearing but I bet it won't seize up either.

Looks Good..

Comment

Originally posted by laman View Post
              I am building a BBQ pit out of 22 inch pipie quarter inch wall. It will be 28 inches long. What kind of ideas do you'll have for wheels for it? They will have to be fairly sturdy.
              i use lawnmore wheel steel center.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom37 View Post
                None of it is exact and there is defiantly more play then whats in a bearing but I bet it won't seize up either.
                Since it sits out in the weather and is a low use bearing that holds a lot of weight, the not exact fit is a good thing. I have access to a machine shop and would consider turning some brass bushings.
                Racer Z
                Escargot Racing

Comment

Tom ???

did you cut those wheels with a Metabo ???? how many disc ?? how long ?? you love punishment don't you ???

john
                  My "project truck" has turned into 'garage art' !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X