• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Requirements

Welders/ Pipe Fitters Journeym

Welders/
    Pipe Fitters
    Journeyman welder w/ exp in GTAW, GMAW, GMAW Pulsed, and FCAW on high pressure piping systems. Ability to pass entrance test is a 4" extra, extra strong (43/64) carbon steel weld test using GTAW for the root and hot pass with GMAW Pulsed fill and cover in 6G position.
    Pipe Fitter to pass basic written pipe fitter test and tack weld using GTAW not with a welder. Ability to pass weld test in a 6G position GTAW for all passes on 2-1/2 " STD Wall S-80-GTAW (root) GMAW-pulse (fill).

If you fit this criteria call

2-9-09 Job Requirements

I just have a few questions.
    The term GMAW Pulsed. I’m guessing this means what it says; the filler metal is being delivered in burstes. Is the previous, one of the following
    The 2 basic types of metal transfer are short circuit and spray. I'm guessing spray.
    And the term 6G position: What is this? This one really has me stumped. I’m pretty sure I understand everything else.

Time to go back to school
    Last edited by DJM1972; 05-13-2009, 10:02 PM.

Make it a 6G-R just to keep the riff raff out.

Sounds like an interesting job. I remember my days/years welding high pressure pipe. Makes me appreciate my aerospace welding job!

Lots of people needing work these days. I wish you all good luck.
    Two turn tables and a microphone.

Comment

6G is the 45 degree position pipe test. 6G-R would be the same thing with a restrictor plate that doesn't allow easy access to the joint. With pipe welding you have positions: 2G, 5G, and 6G/6GR.
      SA-250 Diesel
      ASME Section IX Certified

Comment

"tack weld using GTAW not with a welder." Now I don't know about you guys but this would likely keep me out. I can tack weld, but to do it not with a welder!
        Walker
        Chief slag chipper & floor sweeper
        Ironwood Artistic

Comment

GMAW pulse uses spray transfer but basically the machine steps down the current between spray droplets to get lower heat input. From a welding standpoint it welds much like GMAW spray.

http://www.millerwelds.com/education...rticles32.html

I'm not a fan. 95% of the time the same can be accomplished by understanding and controlling your welding parameters. but on certain materials and certain thicknesses it does offer an advantage if you are willing to shell out 5x the amount for the power supply.
          In case of welding emergency
          use a bolt

Comment

The 6G position is a fixed test position (not rolled) with the pipes inclined from horizontal at a 45 degree angle, the 6GR is the same position but with a restriction ring to make the weld more like what you might find in the field.

GMAW-P or as its more commonly known pulsed mig is a process using solid wire electrode and gas shielding usually in the spray mode. The value of GMAW-P is that it allows for out of position welding in the spray mode which is not possible to do with traditional GMAW due the high energy levels of the arc in spray mode. Welding in the spray mode has a lot of benefits such as greatly increased penetration and much higher deposition rates than short circuit mode and if a welder was getting started and wanted to purchase a welding power source with the greatest versatility he would be hard pressed to find a better choice.

Just my .02.

Comment

Be able to pass a 3G vertical weld test.

Our client, a manufacturer of heat transfer equipment, is looking for an experienced welder.

Qualified candidates will:
              * Have experience welding on stainless and carbon steel.s
              * Have experience welding on heavy plates.
              * Already be ASME certified, or be able to be ASME certified.
              * Be able to pass a 3G vertical weld test.

What is this weld test for?

Comment

Working...
              X