PTO repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTO repair

Okay so we have PTO unit that has a nice sized crack running from a threaded hole. As you can imagine it has a nice layer of hydro fluid coating it and even though we will clean the H-E-L-L out of I think that its still going to pose a problem for the repair.

While I have read up on cast iron repair this will be the first time I have actually done it. Im very comfortable with TIG welding and I wanted to see if TIG brazing was an option ?

What type of tig rod should be used or should be just use the stick welder with some nickel rod ?

Thanks -
    God Bless America

[

Originally posted by arcdawg View Post
    Okay so we have PTO unit that has a nice sized crack running from a threaded hole. As you can imagine it has a nice layer of hydro fluid coating it and even though we will clean the H-E-L-L out of I think that its still going to pose a problem for the repair.

While I have read up on cast iron repair this will be the first time I have actually done it. Im very comfortable with TIG welding and I wanted to see if TIG brazing was an option ?

What type of tig rod should be used or should be just use the stick welder with some nickel rod ?

Thanks -
    I'm a fan of Certanium 889 for cast repair...knock the flux off and TIG with it. You'd need to burn the crap out of it first Brian, and grinding would help if you can. The trick in any cast iron repair is having the weldment cool slowly in kitty litter of Kaowool, fireblanket, etc. While you're welding it, stir it up real good to bring the impurities to the surface.

Comment

worth a try???

I had a similar sounding repair to perform recently and had to make several attempts. An old timer recommended I relocate my ground clamp via threading a bolt into the hole which the crack originated for the clamp to attach. Being cast iron and even cooling a HUGE factor in success he had me keep moderate heat on the bolt With amapp soldering torch to keep the body material and the weld a more even temp (before and after the certainium bead was laid as preheating was impossible) in order to prevent cooling failure. the first two times without this technique failed . . . but this worked although contaminants werent a factor as with your case. good luck.
      Last edited by bennyswill; 02-10-2009, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X