Wet Cable Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Cable Insulation

Really didn't know how to title it but thats as close as I can get. Heres the scoop. I have a set of 25' leads for a a/c welder and have them hanging up on the wall. Periodically they appear wet and have a light coating of some liquid on them thats not water. Its not condensation. It can be wiped off but it will appear again. Anybody ever seen this? Inquiring minds want to know what it is?

You don't have a grease gun hanging on the wall above it do you? I use to have a grease gun hanging on the wall and I realized whatever was underneath it always had an oily residue on it. I wrapped it up in a plastic bag and after about two months there was a puddle in the bottom of the bag. Now I always keep it in a bag.
    Last edited by Brianstick; 01-25-2009, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Hi Brian, no grease gun. Its really wierd. Almost like its coming out of the rubber insulation, if that is possible. It almost has an oily feel to it. Maybe I'll throw the cable into a bag with some cat litter and see what happens. thanks for the response.

Comment

really old cables? I'be seen stuff ooze out of rubber rollers for presses when they got very old. Some turn into a gooey mess.

Comment

I have a piece of thick orange "rubber" sheet that exuded some oily substance in a similar fashion. It was in the cab of my truck for quite awhile. I'll have to find it and see if it has done it again.
          --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
          -------------------------

Comment

Tom, the cables came with a Thunderbolt A/C only welder I guess 20 years old? They are definitely older. Where they are hanging is against drywall and in the clear of any other material.

Comment

I saw a movie where a whole town was terrorized by something like what you describe. You may need to call Steve Macqueen. Seriously though, the rubber must be breaking down for some reason. Doesn't get too hot during use does it?

Comment

Greening. the plasticiser in the pvc insulation is breaking down. Don't ask me any more, because this may well be internet B.S. anyway. I'm not the original source. I have seen wires sticky inside after stripping the ends and never really given it much thought. According to what I read, the problem relates to a specific plasticiser and is worsened if the wire was overamped.

Comment

Actually I haven't ever used these cables since the purchase a few years ago. Initially there were a few spots on the cable maybe a foot or so long that would weep. This is the first I have seen that the entire length is wet. Maybe it is aliens! Thanks for all the responses. I still want to try the cat litter to see if it wicks it all away. Kurt.

Comment

Do you have a cable that won't stop crying? Welcome to ...
                    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                    -------------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X