PVC Welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC Welding

Many years ago some PVC welding was done where I work to build a none conductive antenna mast.

Does anyone know anything about welding PVC. I'd guess it's done with very hot air rather than a flame to keep from carbonizing.

I'm thinking mostly making "tubular frame stuff"; probably nothing larger than 3" sch 80.

Bob

A good plastic welder will cost you in the neighborhood of a couple hundred bucks.

Willy

Comment

A good plastic welder will cost you in the neighborhood of a couple hundred bucks.

Willy

Go to Arizonatools.com

Comment

Hey, Bob, maybe consider internal slip fit pipe with glue joints..Invisible, strong, cheap way out! The Plastic Welding I've tried distorted the surface of the plastic with the heat (sunken spots), so making nice. neat joints might prove a problem... Solvent Weld!!
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Done a bunch of plastic welding. Yes, it's done with a hot-air iron and plastic (matching material) rod. HF sell cheap versions of the system, but I can't speak to their quality. The unit I used was a bit more elaborate and expensive than the one HF sells. The thicker the material, the greater the need to bevel the joint just like metal welding.
          I NEED MORE COWBELL!!!

'Red' Powcon 300ST (no torch yet)
          (ok, not really a 'Red'... )
          'Blue' Miller 35 (older than me and runs great), Thunderbolt AC arc (ditto)
          'Craftsman' AC arc (who made this originally?)
          O/A x 2 (both smaller than I'd like)
          14" Milwaukee chopper
          20t HF press (crap, but works)
          Buffalo forge w/ blower
          Alot of pumps!

"All of us know more than any of us."- TexHand

Comment

I saw some 3 ft diameter plastic drain pipe down on the beach that had welded T joints. Looked just like steel weld. Maybe it was ABS plastic. Looked like larger version of 6 inch plastic drain pipe at Lowes.

Comment

Willy,

That plastic welder looks pretty slick. Gonna have to check that out more. Been "welding" plastic for 20 years with a soldering iron. Always had to "borrow" material from an inconspicuous area. Plastic seemed to be slightly more brittle than original. Most would blend when heated some wouldn't. Bakelite is impossible. Doesn't melt. Just sits there and smokes. That machine would make it alot easier. ---Mike---
              BUY AMERICAN... THE JOB YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!!!!!

Hobart Champion 16
              Miller external secondary contactor
              stick foot pedal
              remote voltage control(homemade)
              Hobart Portafeed 17(w AG-2000 control box)
              Bernard Q350 mig gun
              Hobart AG-2000 pull gun
              Lincoln Hi-Freq k799(yes, I know it's red)
              Weldcraft CS300 tig torch
              Miller RFC-23A foot pedal
              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 50
              Victor 450/300 series torches
              oodles of connecting cords

I can fix it, just pay me to replace it first

Comment

Working...
              X