Weld penetration/testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weld penetration/testing

What's a good way to test a weld - for example, I'm doing test welds before trying to put a cage in the Mustang. The material is .130 wall mild steel tube and I have some spare I'm testing with. This is a Hobart 140, running .035 wire at about 320 in/min with C-25 blend at max voltage. The setting is voltage 4 / wirespeed 42ish. I'm getting penetration, but not sure it's enough. What I'm doing is partially welding together a couple chunks of tube, then beating the chunks apart with a 2 lb hammer. I see some bending of the tubing at the weld but also see some of the weld tearing and taking chunks out of the base metal. .030 wire put down a nice bead, but it was just laying on the surface. I stuck some tube to .125 plate by welding 1/3 around the tube, then prying the plate off the tube. Again, I see penetration but the weld seems to tear out of the tube material.

Hints and comments welcome. The decision I have to get to is "weld or tack". Have a friend with a bigger unit, but the 140 should be able to stick .125 steel with a single pass.

Using the formula Hobart supplied in the book, for .125 steel the feed rate should be around 200 in/min. Tried that - not even close.
    1967 4 door Falcon 351Cr / 1970 Mustang 351C
    Owner built, owner abused.
    http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

Is the mild steel tube sufficient strength for a roll cage? Chromoly? Not sure myself.

Comment

Fit up with a gap and bridge tacks. Weld a root pass and stop at the bridge tacks. Grind out the tacks and weld through that area. Go back with a filler/cover pass.
      Two turn tables and a microphone.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Harris View Post
        Is the mild steel tube sufficient strength for a roll cage? Chromoly? Not sure myself.
        Yes, for the ET/Speed of this particular car. 1 3/4" OD, .118 mild steel or .083 CM. An 8 point is good down to 6.50 1/8 mile (10 flat 1/4). This car wont see that kind of ET unless we fall in a money pit LOL. If we did, then it goes to a 10 point (halo bar and down bars, maybe with a dash bar.)

I will play with the gap and bridge tacks. That might be easy on the bench and a good trick with the top bars in the car.

I'll try to post a pic of the test weld. Thanks for the quick feedback!

Comment

pics
          Two pieces of tube, beat apart. Stuck well enough that the top tube is bending at the weld.

Other test pieces flipped and a bead run.

Last edited by Falcon67; 01-17-2009, 11:26 AM.

Comment

You could try pre heating with torch to help penetration and cold starts
            Miller 251
            Miller Synchrowave 250 DX
            Hobart Fabricator/No. 27 feeder
            Hypertherm 45 Powermax
            Hypertherm 190C
            Miller XP 130
            Princess Auto 400 amp DC Diesel Generator/project

Comment

Working...
            X