trans alaskin pipeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans alaskin pipeline

wasn't the someone one the forum who worked or helped build the pipeline? I would love to know more about it, like what it was like up there, how things were done anything from your point of view.
    Dylan

I was in college when they were recruiting and a good friend borrowed money from me to work on the line as a laborer. They required applicants to put up about 1500 bucks for clothing and personal gear. He left school in his junior year and I thought he was giving up his degree to make big bucks in the short run. He was hired, became a welders assist, and then worked his way up to a VERY senior corporate welding oversight position. When the project ended he went to mid-east as a welding trainer for an major foreign oil company at a technical training center he organized and made a FORTUNE. The oil company set up a program where he bought several condos (off-shore) from amanagement company runs them and he takes profits, multiple vactions (tax deductible) and didn't have to repatriate the money. All from a welders assistant job in Alaska... BTW he said it was brutal, lonely and dangerous.

...Andy

Comment

I worken on the Alaska Pippe Line in 77 as an Insulator. At the time the scale was $17.48 an hour on the check plus benys. Room and board was provided, two men to a room, stayed three months. Worked the terminal at Valdez. Pier 5 and Power Vapor. Met a great bunch of guys. Knew some guys that worked the North Slope, that's where the big money was. By the way all the pipe was made in Japan.

Willy

Comment

By the way all the pipe was made in Japan.

from what i understand the money to build it came from japan and the oil all goes to Japan . i could be wrong though.

Japanese Rail is the best on the planet and they charge for it.

Comment

They have it on history channel once in awhile.Pretty interesting,and I've seen a movie of it a few times at our company's training center.I work for a natural gas co and they show it once in awhile to new welder and inspector trainees.I have ran into people who drove trucks on it but never welders.
          Pro-level dumpster diver/Shop full of the finest foreign tools Hobart 125 EZ

Comment

looks pretty cool. would love to go see it some day
            Dylan

Comment

I worked with a guy that said he did some time on it. Asked what it was like he said something like, great if you like laying in ditches full of cold water. Asked what else was up there said no wimmen, no tv, nothing to do but drink. Would at least have satellite cable now.
              Last edited by mcostello; 01-13-2009, 11:06 PM. Reason: remove name

Comment

Originally posted by chenry View Post
                By the way all the pipe was made in Japan.

from what i understand the money to build it came from japan and the oil all goes to Japan . i could be wrong though.

Japanese Rail is the best on the planet and they charge for it.
                One of the biggest investors is British Petroleum and by law the oil must come to the US, although the oil is high sulpher content.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by mcostello View Post
                  I worked with a guy named Pete Clark that did some time on it. Asked what it was like he said something like, great if you like laying in ditches full of cold water. Asked what else was up there said no wimmen, no tv, nothing to do but drink. Would at least have satellite cable now.
                  Take it with a grain of salt, pipelines aren't built in ditches, they are welded on the bank on skids and lowered in. If you are working in the ditch you are in a premuim slot on tie-ins or lowering in tie-ins or road bores.

I was still in school then the line was laid but everyone I know was on it.
                  People tell lots of lies about the work.

JTMcC.

Comment

Don't believe he lied, but I highly believe I either misunderstood or have had a memory fart.

Comment

Huh, I have met plenty of people the last thirty years or so, that "supposedly" welded on the Alaskan pipeline. Haven't seen many yet, that could weld worth a dam...... guess it do look good on a resume, though ........

Edit: just so no mis-understandings, what I meant by this is there's probably 10 people claiming to work on this job, for every one that actually did.
                      Last edited by calweld; 01-12-2009, 03:11 PM. Reason: clarifying,,,,,, "mis"-------
                      *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

I lived in Alaska from 1957-1992, first worked on the pipline (sort ah) in a truss shop in Fairbanks that had the original contract to build the camps---everything went to h#$ll when it became known that the contract for the 48" pipe was going to manufactured in Japan, the project shut down for if I remember about 4years and the company I worked for went bankrupt. I later was hired with the Operators as a service welder/mechanic and worked in several camps along the line, Livengood, Sheep Mountain and Issabel Pass. I had a good job building service trucks (we got 1ton ford trucks with no engine or bed and put Cat 3208's and custom built the service beds, The pipeline was built as a 'cost plus' contract and I can remember making over 120k in less then a year working 7/12s. Lots of young guys like me made a lot of money, most 'pissed it doing R & R in Hawaii and buying new toys and beer. I quit and went to work in the Elevator trade as a 50% aprentice, stuck with it and married, raised a family and invested (mostly wisely) and now I am retired and working just enough to stay that way!

I never was a fulltime welder, however I learned to Stick weld, mig weld by some of the best in the country (both Union hands and non Union hands in the field and in shops. I also learned on my own to OA weld and practiced like my life depended on it! Now I am doing the same with Tig welding and hope to be able to pass along to my Grandkids what I still love to do!

I have watched the Liberal, tree huggers and politicians so totally screw up the state of Ak that I moved in 92 to the "Lower 48" but still have family and lots of friends in the Frozen north!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by mcostello View Post
                          Don't believe he lied, but I highly believe I either misunderstood or have had a memory fart.

I don't intend to imply he was lying.
                          But, when you hear people talk about either the Alaska Pipeline, or Special Forces, I always ask specifics because there are a lot of folks faking it on those topics.
                          And a lot who aren't.

JTMcC.

Comment

Reliable information

There is a lot of reliable and detailed information available on this topic in books and in articles offered online. Researching the subject this way would help you avoid a lot of misinformation that you will surely get by just asking a question in an open forum. Good authors eliminate unreliable information sources and check the authenticity of sources they use in constructing their books/articles. However, if you find it entertaining in some way to fish for comments based on, "I know a guy that knows a guy who had a cousin who got a dog from a guy that thought about working on that pipeline," then you've come to the right place.

Comment

uhhhh,,,,, buck??? Excellent first post,,,,,,, you got the "internet expert" thing down pat, how did you get so smart right off the bat???????
                              *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

Working...
                              X