Large radius tube bends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large radius tube bends

I would like to build a horse feeder simillar to the one in the pic below.
    Any advice how to bend the tubing?
    Any advice on where to order inexpensive tubing? I was thinking about using galvanized tubing sold for chain link fence.....

The radius is about 7 1/2', but you can get the frames for trampolines pretty easy free. I've carted three home in the past year. The fabric rips , and the owners scrap them...plus you get tons of freebie coil springs at the same time. You could easily do you project with a few sections.
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

A friend built this gate up at my shop a few years ago. The arches were sectioned every foot and welded back up after the bend was made. When he was talking to me about the project prior to starting my first thought was, "...gonna look like a giant stop sign from all the facets." Turned out to be a very smooth double arch. Same idea ought to work for your needs...maybe with more sectioning done on narrower spacing centers.
      Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

I keep eyeing one of these.

http://www.vansantent.com/tube_bendi...ll_bender.html
        Jim

Miller MM 210
        Miller Dialarc 250P
        Airco 225 engine driven
        Victor O/A
        Lots of other tools and always wanting more

Comment

Hmmm... seems to me someone recently posted pictures of, or a link to, a homemade ring roller. Seemed pretty simple to make. Looked like an horizontal version of what Jim posted. 3 steel casters, a threaded rod and a couple of cranks.

Don

Comment

man thats high priced to be hand cranked !!!!!!!! had a ele. motor i might see
            lincoln pt225
            hack saw & a hammer
            oh & a shovel

Comment

My thoughts too. I haven't bought it for that reason.
              Jim

Miller MM 210
              Miller Dialarc 250P
              Airco 225 engine driven
              Victor O/A
              Lots of other tools and always wanting more

Comment

I think the pros will tell you be careful welding galvanized.

Willy

Comment

I have a speedway ring roller. It was pretty cheap. I think under $200. Made in china stuff. It came with flat rolls for rolling out flat bar but the first thing I made was a set of rollers for some conduit I need curved. I also curved some 1-1/4 tubing but man that was tough. I didn't get as much of a radius as I was hoping for but was able to do the gate.

Comment

I had a three ring roller that I used for a big job. But when I first made some arches, I wrapped the tubing around a big piece of plywood form that I bought and cut just enough undersize to allow for the springback.

The piece you're bending has to be long enough to provide the leverage necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X