Tig Weld Pics...critique please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig Weld Pics...critique please?

Finally got some time to practice some tig welding. Welds are a little rough though. Any ideas to improve?

Above/Below pics are 1.25" square tubing, 1/16 tungsten at 80amp.

Next are done on sheet metal. ~1/16 inch thickness. Two separate welds, each in marked box. On the backside, you can see where the weld was. Is that caused by too much heat? Any less doesn't seem to melt the metal at all?

Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

The welds in your first two pictures:
    -Looks like you don't have enough current.
    -Your base metal wasn't as clean as it could be.
    -I like to see closer ridges in the weld. You are advancing too much between dips.

The welds in your last two pictures look much better.

Here is a link to a sample weld that I made on 1/8 mild steel.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=14679

I am not sure what metal thickness that you are welding. Check out the TIG welding handbook chapter VI page 52 for recommended settings for steel.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/TIGhandbook/
    sigpic
    Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Lincoln LE 31 MP
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Comment

Slow down and add more wire.
      Two turn tables and a microphone.

Comment

hold at the start until the puddle is fully formed. For 1/16 thickness, 80 amps is about right on low carbon steel (even 70 amps if you want to go slower)

slow down a bit. Try holding the torch over a hunk of material to form a puddle. At 80 amps on 1/16 thick material, you will form a good size puddle, it will take a few seconds, and it may drop through, or it may not. Much less than 70 amps won't melt through for a good while, much over 90 amps will take only a few seconds. The puddle size you want to carry on a joint is nearly as large as the puddle right before melt through on a plain piece, but not quite as big.

the torch movement should be steady and smooth, the addition of wire should be uniform. If you are dipping the wire (recommended), dip with a uniform rhythm so that the puddle size is maintained (it will shrink a bit on each dip and regrow to the original size as you advance) Adjust the advance rate to maintain the proper puddle size.

TIG is not as fast as wire feed or stick.

Also, as mentioned, the area around the weld must be CLEAN. Shiny clean. Use a grinder. For an inch or so away from the joint, at least. ANY mill scale, oil, whatever, in the weld zone will cause problems, ranging from volcanoing to poor fluidity of the puddle, to uncontrollable freezing of the puddle.
        I may not be good looking, but I make up for it with my dazzling lack of personality

Comment

Thanks for the replies, practiced again today, and seemed to be a lot better. Also picked up some real name brand tungsten, versus my old "Welding Nozzie(sic) Intermational(sic)" tungsten
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX
          Hypertherm Powermax 45

Comment

Working...
          X