What Welder to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Welder to buy?

My Mom and Dad bought me a Lincoln Electric 100Hd For Xmiss, After they talked to me about it we are going to take it back sence its to small for what I need.

Im starting to build a HOTROD TRUCK. The thickest steel I'll weld is 10Ga, I wont do body work with a mig sence the steel is way to thin but floorpans I'll do. I can get a tig from a friend for the body work. I've been looking at the Lincoln 3200 at homedepot, I bet frame work is pushing that welder. I've taken a look at the Pro Mig 180 sence I found it for 300$ new on the net.
    We can't spind more then 500$ on this.
    I do have a 220 Plug in the shop but my ARC welder is useing that Plug, If I had to I can unplug it wile im not useing it. Im still new at this welding deal.

What woud be the best welder for what I need to do? I can live with out doing the frame with my welder, My ARC might do it. I have 3 good friends that weld on the gas pipe lines stuff like that and they all use LINCOLN Rigs from the late 60's, So if I can I woud like to have a Lincoln sence I've been aroud them for 4 years now lol. My friends are never home to show me how to weld so I have to teach my self. Im all ways cuting my welds apart to see what they look like.

Thanks ever one for the help.
    1971 Ford Custom
    1941 Ford Truck HOTROD
    1950 Farmall Cub Tractor
    1915 Case Hay Press

Most folks I know use mig to do bodywork. Actually that is usually the reason they buy them. If you must buy red, I would get the 175 machine. You can get the 175HD for under $500.00 . Thats the welder I was going to buy before I read about all the good things here on the Hobarts (went with the HH210). The 175 is a 220 and yes it should have the same plug as your arc welder. Most likely your Arc welder is drawing more amps and you have a 50 breaker on it. A 30 amp breaker is the min for this class of welder.

I know you have a loyalty to Lincolns since that is what your freinds use but from what I have read from people that used them all, you just cant beat the HH187. If you look hard, you can find it for around 500.00 also. Tractor Supply has them for 540.00 with their 10% off promo (free shipping as well). Personally thats were my money would go. You cant compare Lincoln's commercial units with small Home Depot models.
    Last edited by mikeb9550; 12-28-2008, 08:34 AM.
    Mike

HH210 & 3035 Spool Gun
    HTP 221 Tig
    Powermax 30 plasma
    HF bandsaw
    HF hood

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb9550 View Post
      Most folks I know use mig to do bodywork. Actually that is usually the reason they buy them. If you must buy red, I would get the 175 machine. You can get the 175HD for under $500.00 . Thats the welder I was going to buy before I read about all the good things here on the Hobarts (went with the HH210). The 175 is a 220 and yes it should have the same plug as your arc welder. Most likely your Arc welder is drawing more amps and you have a 50 breaker on it. A 30 amp breaker is the min for this class of welder.

I know you have a loyalty to Lincolns since that is what your freinds use but from what I have read from people that used them all, you just cant beat the HH187. If you look hard, you can find it for around 500.00 also. Tractor Supply has them for 540.00 with their 10% off promo (free shipping as well). Personally thats were my money would go. You cant compare Lincoln's commercial units with small Home Depot models.
      I have a good friend that Builds hotrods and he is going to help me with my truck, But he said the wire feed welders on body work is not good Idea, The welds are to hard to use a hammer and dolley on them, Idk if he was talking about the Flux tho.

Any who thanks for the help
      1971 Ford Custom
      1941 Ford Truck HOTROD
      1950 Farmall Cub Tractor
      1915 Case Hay Press

Comment

I have never seen someone tig body work before but hey he probably knows more about it than me. Flux Core is a no no for body work. Solid wire works much better.

Thats cool your buddy is going to help you. Sounds like a cool project.

There are a lot of experienced guys on this site that Im sure will give you great advice.
        Mike

HH210 & 3035 Spool Gun
        HTP 221 Tig
        Powermax 30 plasma
        HF bandsaw
        HF hood

Comment

Working...
        X