Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hearing protection

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • hearing protection

    Having worked in manufacturing environs and exposed to other loud noises all my life, I now have significant hearing loss. This goes out to any young workers in noisy workplaces... Wear hearing protection. Wear it even if everyone else is not! Hearing loss is not funny and is preventable. This condition really sneaks up on you. You do not notice the conversational loss as anyone with decent verbal skills brain will "add" the missing syllables too words without even knowing they're not hearing them anymore. Most of the high frequency losses are not correctable with hearing aids. This could very well mean one will no longer hear birds chiping in the morning or crickets at night. Perhaps a squeaky talking grandchild is in your future. Hearing loss could prevent you from talking with them. The list goes on. I'm only preaching about what I know. The attitude of hearing protection most of the time does not work. Know what noises damage hearing, and wear it when exposed to them. I just feel that some of the "latent" hazards involved with machinery and tool useage are sometimes ignored. Welding fumes are certainly another one in this catagory. Assume them to be bad and avoid them.
    Last edited by Thomas Harris; 12-24-2008, 06:09 PM.

  • #2
    X2---with repetition for emphasis...

    WEAR YOUR HEARING PROTECTION!!!!.....

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Thomas Harris View Post
      Having worked in manufacturing environs and exposed to other loud noises all my life, I now have significant hearing loss. This goes out to any young workers in noisy workplaces... Wear hearing protection. Wear it even if everyone else is not! Hearing loss is not funny and is preventable. This condition really sneaks up on you. You do not notice the conversational loss as anyone with decent verbal skills brain will "add" the missing syllables too words without even knowing they're not hearing them anymore. Most of the high frequency losses are not correctable with hearing aids. This could very well mean one will no longer hear birds chiping in the morning or crickets at night. Perhaps a squeaky talking grandchild is in your future. Hearing loss could prevent you from talking with them. The list goes on. I'm only preaching about what I know. The attitude of hearing protection most of the time does not work. Know what noises damage hearing, and wear it when exposed to them. I just feel that some of the "latent" hazards involved with machinery and tool useage are sometimes ignored. Welding fumes are certainly another one in this catagory. Assume them to be bad and avoid them.
      War does the same thing--you can't wear ear plugs with bullets whizzing over your head and everyone is yelling.

      Now, what was that you said? Huh? Say again all after . . .

      Yup, it's serious wear'em and listen or not.
      The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
        War does the same thing--you can't wear ear plugs with bullets whizzing over your head and everyone is yelling.

        Now, what was that you said? Huh? Say again all after . . .

        Yup, it's serious wear'em and listen or not.
        Never been in combat, and hope to never be. I do understand the communication problem and probably should have mentioned it. That does make it tough to cover the ears. Machines have normal noises and abnormal noises. If you wear plugs it'll be tougher to detect when things are wrong with a machine. I hunted lots when younger, and the Doc asked about that first. Sporting arms can damage ears quickly, without constant exposure. I can only imagine what weapons of war in combat can do to not only ears, but many other things. Perhaps I should have stated "protect your ears whenever possible." I think more could have done to protect my hearing, and yours truly could have done it. I think a lot of people are in my situation, for basically the same reasons.

        Comment


        • #5
          Noise Cancelation Phones

          Saw some by Maxel NC ###?
          I wonder if ya can just use em to cancel what gets past the muffs.

          Koss might have some too.

          VG
          sigpicViceGrip
          Negative people have a problem for every solution

          Comment


          • #6
            I ran my lawnmower this morning, to vacuum up the last of the fallen leaves. I Always use the ear muff type of hearing protection. And ear plugs inside them if it's really loud. Use to keep a pair in the house as a joke when the 'ol lady was going on 'an on about 'somethin' Didn't go over to well, but it was nice and quite. I'd pretend I was singing a little tune. Boy she'd really 'turn it up then' Don't know why she left

            Comment


            • #7
              You ever been on a destroyer when all the guns were being fired. I think that is the rreason I can't hear today. Those hearing aids cost about four thousand dolars. I bought one pair and they lasted about two years. Before world war 11 you didn't wear ear plugs to hunt or to go to the range.
              Better start taking care of your hearing now.

              Comment


              • #8
                I work in a factory with 20+ miles of conveyer belts and rollers. I see some guys wearing ear plugs all day but they are usually deer hunters and I figured they are just doin it to make sure they have the best hearing possible. The company makes earplugs readily available at the security office, (this covers their a$$),but only run hearing tests upstairs where it is really loud. On ground level it is loud enough that you have to talk kinda loud . Sometimes I wonder if over the years it will be bad....Although its nice to be able to toot and no one can hear...
                Hobart 140 Victor O/A 450series Milwaukee sawzall Drill press Chinese sandblaster
                Dewalt chop saw

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Eugenius76 View Post
                  Although its nice to be able to toot and no one can hear...
                  Hahaha this reminds me of a question my dad used to ask us kids that goes with this hearing thread...

                  Q. Do you know why farts stink???

                  A. So the deaf can enjoy them too!!!

                  DOH
                  Last edited by Nickoli; 01-06-2009, 11:29 PM.
                  Nickoli
                  ~ OUCH...OUCH...#@&$ OUCH... That didn't take long to look at! ~

                  Lincoln Pro Mig175
                  Hypertherm Powermax600
                  Victory Journeyman O/Lp
                  Jet 4x6 Bandsaw
                  Craftsman Chop Saw
                  Craftsman 15in Stationary Drill Press
                  Grizzly Compact Bender
                  Many Other Various Tools

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X