Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Exhaust Bung

Hey Guys,
    I tried searching, but couldn't find an answer. I am going to weld an exhaust bung in my Mustang exhaust to install an air/fuel ratio gauge. My problem is that the exhaust pipe is thin (can't get in to measure), but the bung is about 3/16" thick. I'm not sure whether to make the mig settings to match the thinner or thicker steel, or midway between.

The exhaust and bung are steel. I am using solid .024 wire with C25 gas. My mig is an HH187.

Do you have any suggestions on settings?

Thanks,
    Bruce

Well I don't have the same welder as you but I would set mine for the bung thickness. Start the weld on the bung and then just let the puddle wash down on to the pipe. If it looks like its going to burn through stop and let it cool a second then go again.

Comment

Run a series of overlapping spot welds, turning the gun on an angle that pushes the wire at the bung. I usually set the machine to weld the thickness of the thicker piece. This will ensure good fusion. Just take your time and experiment with the angle until you get something workable. It doesn't have to look perfect, it just has to seal the bung onto the exhaust! =)

Remember that 02 sensors should never be placed below 3 or 9 o'clock as condensation can ruin them. They should ideally be installed in a 12o'clock position on the pipe, or in a vertical section.
      Not so obvious and ruthlessly odd.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Beave View Post
        Run a series of overlapping spot welds, turning the gun on an angle that pushes the wire at the bung. I usually set the machine to weld the thickness of the thicker piece. This will ensure good fusion. Just take your time and experiment with the angle until you get something workable. It doesn't have to look perfect, it just has to seal the bung onto the exhaust! =)

Remember that 02 sensors should never be placed below 3 or 9 o'clock as condensation can ruin them. They should ideally be installed in a 12o'clock position on the pipe, or in a vertical section.
        Thanks Guys for the info. Unfortunately I can't get it above the 3 or 9 o'clock position. There is just no room to weld, or drill for that matter. It shouldn't be too bad since the pipe is nearly vertical. I do realize that I may have to replace the sensor every year or two. I would take the pipe down, but that would be a real bear!
        Have a Merry Christmas!
        Bruce

Comment

Working...
        X