Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whateg0
    replied
    It's at the top of the html. I took the screenshot above directly from the page source for the contact page. Do you use some sort of authoring software? Or is your page all done manually and cut-and-paste? If you send me a copy of the html, I can dump in whatever you would want it to say in the header bar, or I can just save it directly from the page.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• trep813
    replied
    The flames are SWF and if there dial up can't pick it up it shows as a still flame on each side of BlueBlaze. The template I used is from WebStarts.com. It's an easy template and the reason I was able to do as I have with it. I can't find what Dave was telling me about the HTML. I looked through it several times and can't find <Title>My website</Title> anywhere in the codes.
    I'm working on a job right now that I'll get some good photos of when it's finished and then start a pic gallery.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• whateg0
    replied
    Originally posted by Slonaker View Post
    I think he is talking about your flames...
    Actually, that was earlier. My last post was just about the title. I didn't look that closely at the flames. I just assumed they were an animated GIF. Guess I missed that. It is an SWF.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Slonaker
    replied
    Originally posted by trep813 View Post
    Thanks, I wasn't aware that it did that. I'll work on that later.

I think he is talking about your flames. They appear to be Flash based. Not everyone has Flash installed on their computer, so some will be asked to install it to view your website.

While pretty, the flames are a bad idea IMHO. As was already said, some folks don't want to download something to view your site. Also, they don't look professional, and they increase the amount of time it takes for the page to load. Customers on a slow dialup connection may not bother to take the time to wait for the flame (and/or Flash) to download, and that's a bad thing. They will leave instead of checking out your business.

It would also look more professional if you used a more standard font. Comic sans is fine for a personal website, but you won't ever see it on a professionally done corporate website. Look to websites for big companies for inspiration. Take a look at the Microsoft website, for example.

I'm not trying to bash your work, by the way. You seem genuinely interested in making it better, and I am trying to make good suggestions based on mistakes I have made in the past.

I know that web design is a lot of work, especially when you are starting out, and the learning curve can be pretty steep. You have done well to get as far as you have, and I would like to see you end up with a site when you are done that helps out a lot with your business.

A couple of things you might consider... There is a website that offers a lot of free and professional templates (as well as some awful ones... ) for free. You can find it here:

http://www.oswd.org/

There are also a couple of photo galleries I have used that are free. I'm not sure if they are free for use by businesses, but they may be worth checking on. One is called Gallery and the other is called Coppermine. Both have good websites that can show you how they work.

Good luck!

Slonaker

Leave a comment:

• trep813
    replied
    Thanks Dave, I'll work on that.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• whateg0
    replied
    In the upper left corner is the title of the webpage.

It can be edited here.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• trep813
    replied
    Originally posted by whateg0 View Post
    Just noticed the titles of all but the home page are "My website". Might change that to be more descriptive.

Dave
    Can you be a little more descriptive? I don't see what you are talking about.

Thanks,
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• BryanDowdy
    replied
    Yeah for sure needs photos of your work.

Leave a comment:

• whateg0
    replied
    Just noticed the titles of all but the home page are "My website". Might change that to be more descriptive.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• whateg0
    replied
    Well it's nit-picky, but the beginning and ending frames of the gif should be closer to identical so that it doesn't glitch. Did you see the movie Speed? Remember the part on the bus? Otherwise it looks good. Something I try to do when putting a web page together is to try it out on different web browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera), though I do realize that you are tied to whatever platform you are running on your computer. As an example, the webmail that we use at work is Microsoft Exchange. It works well on Microsoft's browser, IE. But it doesn't work as well in Firefox.

Otherwise, it's a nice clean website.

FWIW, I like the fact that I don't have to scroll to get all of the information that is displayed, but that too is a balancing act. I only have a 19" monitor with a middle-of-the-road resolution. Some people with smaller monitors might still have to scroll, and people with huge monitors (and the huge resolution that might go with them) will find that page too small.

Just some thoughts.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    "BENDING & SHAPING
    Pipe ~ 1/4" OD to 2" OD to 1/4" wall
    Square Tubeing ~ 1/4" OD to 2'' OD to 1/4" wall
    Solid Square & Solid Round ~ up to 2''
    Flatbar ~ up to 3/8'' x 3 1/2""

*Tubing is misspelled

Leave a comment:

• Bob
    replied
    Nice Page ! Especially the animated smoke !

I hope you get some action from it. You might consider putting a reduced copy of the web page on "post cards" ... some to hand out, some to mail to businesses that might need welding within ... maybe a few 100 miles.

Where is Bushnell?

Bob

Leave a comment:

• tomtri
    replied
    It's not too bad I guess. I would personally make the pages a bit bigger to fill the screen a bit more. And I would probably just say that we (you) are a newly formed company rather than saying that you started less than a year ago.

I didn't get to see your pricing structure either but it must have ruffled a few feathers since you decided to take it down.

goodluck with it

Leave a comment:

• trep813
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott Young View Post
    it may just be my computer, but i didn't find any prices. did you remove them? i want pictures. also on the contact page, put your names and positions. i know they are in your email addies, but they need to be easily found. i like what i saw other than those recommendations. good luck.

I did take the price page off. I think I need to look into it a bit more before posting another one. I got a lot of response saying to never post prices and that mine where too low anyway and sending a bad message. But I'm only just under my competitions and we can't compare to welding prices up North.

We should have a good photo gallery soon. I got a couple of interesting jobs coming up that will do well for that. I think you are right about the contact stuff and I'm off to do that now.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Young
    replied
    it may just be my computer, but i didn't find any prices. did you remove them? i want pictures. also on the contact page, put your names and positions. i know they are in your email addies, but they need to be easily found. i like what i saw other than those recommendations. good luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X