Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calculating how much TIG rod for project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating how much TIG rod for project?

I have a TIG project, basics are welding DOM steel tube that is .065" wall, to itself, to 3/8" and to 1/4" steel. I come up with a generous estimate of 165" of welding to be done.

Is there a formula to get a good idea of how much rod I will need for this? Or at least an educated guess?

Looking for recommendations on what rod to use as well. I've been told make sure its coppercoated, but I don't know much more beyond that. I'm outsourcing the welding, just providing the rod.

Much thanks for the help.

If........

If the fit up is good I'd use 2" of rod to each inch of weld.

Comment

Gunna be a lot of rod then...

Any recommendation for type of rod?

Comment

nah

That's about twenty leaving room for you to drop it at the end :-) I'd use my standard Er70S-6 but some might prefer the -2 or -5 versions. I just like the way the -6 works for me on the Dynasty 200DX. If the fit is not good you could go through more rod but rod is the inexpensive part of this job and a lot will depend on the skill of who's tigging it. I always use a 3/32 tung on this material.

Comment

Well, thats good to hear. Thanks for the recommendation, off to the welding shop I go.

Comment

10-12 36" lengths of 3/32 filler should do the job.
            DrIQ

Comment

Agreed

I always use 18 inchers so I guess I should have been more specific.

Comment

Thats good, should be nowhere near as pricey as I had thought then. Best part is the work is free

Thanks again guys

Comment

Working...
                X