Api 1104/ Downhill Pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Api 1104/ Downhill Pipe

Does anyone have any experience doing any down hill pipe? Or ever take an API 1104 test? Got any pointers on how to go about downhilling? Been trying some lately with a little success, but I'd like to be better.
    SA-250 Diesel
    ASME Section IX Certified

pipe welds

crank it up brother, you need to run hot enough to blow slag out of the way,dont be scared to move your rod around to manipulate your puddle, you will be amazed at what cant live in a hot puddle,ive made over 2000 pipe welds down hill and you can beleive, without a single repair.

Comment

thanks for the advice. by manipulating the rod, do you mean I should try and whip and pause or just side to side, to tie in? I've just been dragging it straight down with no manipulation. Do you run the "penny gap and penny land" or something else? thanks in advance
      SA-250 Diesel

Comment

pipe weld

dragging is fine on the root,gap sounds good.

Comment

I was taught to use dime gap/ dime land. Ive also used old clear lenses for a gap too.

Comment

Originally posted by rdneckhntr View Post
            I was taught to use dime gap/ dime land. Ive also used old clear lenses for a gap too.
            Good idea on the clear lenses, I've got about 500 of them laying around.
            SA-250 Diesel

Comment

i was taught that if it is a feathered edge or thin root face with a narrow gap jam it in and run it hot. when the arc force blows through to the interior it sounds almost like a jet engine. if the conditions do not support this process then step it.

Comment

Working...
              X