Why can't I see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I see?

I tried my first weld the other day. Are you supposed to be able to see what you are doing when your lens darkens? All I could see was the glowing metal or arc? Couldn't see nothing of what I was trying to weld. Did ok on tacks but when I tried to run a bead, had no idea where I was going.

Two questions...what type of welding and what shade of lens?
    Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

You should have very good light on what you are welding, especially starting out...next..Are you using an Auto-dark helmet, or fixed shade??? Fixed shade takes more "getting used to",but is the old time standard. If you are using an auto dark, what filter hade setting do you have it set on?? Tell us a bit more, and we may be able to help a bit more!
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Good lighting is a must, just make sure it isn't at the angle behind you where it comes into your hood from behind and reflects off the inside of your lens. When welding indoors, I usually have a 500W halogen directed at the work. The overhead fluorescents usually aren't enough for all positions.

My 9-12 variable is almost always at shade 9. It still fully protects against UV, even when in its clear shade 4 state, which is nice for plasma cutting.

Comment

check your helmet, some comedian might have replaced a clear cover lense with a shaded one! nothing like trying to weld with two sandwiched shade 10's

P.S if you want to do this to someone, use a shade 5 it takes them much longer to catch on

Comment

The first question that comes to MY mind is, "How old are you?" If you're one of us guys who's in the, well... 'prime of life'... then aging eyes are a real handicap in this endeavor. I have a much more difficult time seeing through the lens now than I did 20 years ago, complicated by trying to keep bifocals in the right position.
            Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

I am little older still and wear tri-focals. Every now and then when I don't hold my head just right I see two rods or wires.

Honestly I didn't know about having a lot of ambient light available until I read your post. I didn't think it would make a difference through the helmet. Thanks you for that tip. I will try it.

Comment

Originally posted by HT1 View Post
                check your helmet, some comedian might have replaced a clear cover lense with a shaded one! nothing like trying to weld with two sandwiched shade 10's

P.S if you want to do this to someone, use a shade 5 it takes them much longer to catch on
                Or carbon paper,
                L*S

Comment

You can also get the inserts for you helmet for cheater lenses.

I was using the safety glasses with the bifocals and helped, but after getting the insert for the helmet, hey I could even see the weld puddle while doing flux core!
                  Miller 140 A/S
                  HF Flux Core
                  Dewalt Chop Saw
                  Smith O/A Torch
                  Ryobi Grinder, Craftsman & HF Grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classicsigpic

Comment

Or go to your favorite cheap junk store & get some 2-2.5 power reading glasses.
                    Jim
                    I can weld but I'm not a welder.

Comment

My Stuff

Originally posted by Wyoming View Post
                      Two questions...what type of welding and what shade of lens?
                      I got a Hobart Handler 140 and an auto darkening helmet that's supposed to have a #10, I believe, lens.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
                        You should have very good light on what you are welding, especially starting out...next..Are you using an Auto-dark helmet, or fixed shade??? Fixed shade takes more "getting used to",but is the old time standard. If you are using an auto dark, what filter hade setting do you have it set on?? Tell us a bit more, and we may be able to help a bit more!
                        Yea, it's auto and if that's what the knob on the left side is, 12-1/2. I thought that was a timer. Guess maybe I should have read that manual.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                          Good lighting is a must, just make sure it isn't at the angle behind you where it comes into your hood from behind and reflects off the inside of your lens. When welding indoors, I usually have a 500W halogen directed at the work. The overhead fluorescents usually aren't enough for all positions.

My 9-12 variable is almost always at shade 9. It still fully protects against UV, even when in its clear shade 4 state, which is nice for plasma cutting.
                          I was outside, perfectly sunshiney day. I may of just found out about that knob. Mine goes from 8 - 13 and was at about 12-1/2.

Comment

Originally posted by HT1 View Post

Nah - brand new. They would have had to do that at the factory, cause no one comes around here unless they're with me. I raise Doberman Pinchers.

That sounds like fun though.

Comment

Originally posted by FormerTankSarge View Post
                              You can also get the inserts for you helmet for cheater lenses.

I was using the safety glasses with the bifocals and helped, but after getting the insert for the helmet, hey I could even see the weld puddle while doing flux core!
                              That's what I was trying.......flux core. As soon as it started to arc though, all I could see was a little yellow ball. I guess I will need a lot of practice b4 I try anything that someone else might see.

Comment

Working...
                              X