Cheater lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheater lens

On a whim while at Northern Tool the other day, I decided to pick up a 1.5 diopter cheater lens. I remembered reading several people talk about them, so I figured what the heck. While there I picked up a new #10 lens and a new clear lens to give me the best possible results while trying the cheater. My brother-in-law (who is a certified weldor) was there and cautioned me against using them. He said he can't stand them at all and they make him off balance. I tried it anyways. Well, all I gotta say is WOW. At the age of 35, I figure my eyes are still in pretty good shape, but the cheater makes it a good bit easier to see what the heck is going on, without putting my face in the puddle. Huge difference, IMO!

On another note, I let the Bro-in-law take the new(er) 187 for a test drive. With him being a guy that has to pass x-ray for nuke applications, he gave it a two thumbs up as well as my sample passes for him to inspect. Twas a good day.

The off balance thing occurs when the hood is being raised, or put down...you get over that quickly.

Comment

The brother in law is still young, ask him about his eyes after he turns 50, i am sure he will have nothing but good things to say about the cheater then. I use to be just like him, i never liked them when i was 35, but now that i am over 50 i could not weld without one.
      Hobart Tigwave 250
      Hobart Pulser
      Hobart Tig Cooler
      9X42 Bridgeport
      14X40 Engine Lathe
      Darex Tool Grinders
      Hor.&Ver. Bandsaws
      Boyar Schultz 6X12 Surface Grinder
      Never Forget Our Freedom is not free! Thank you to all of the serviceman and woman in harms way overseas because without them we would have no freedom! God Bless The USA!

Comment

Originally posted by sunpeople View Post
        The brother in law is still young, ask him about his eyes after he turns 50, i am sure he will have nothing but good things to say about the cheater then. I use to be just like him, i never liked them when i was 35, but now that i am over 50 i could not weld without one.

I had 20/200 vision in my right eye for more than 40 years.... Developed a cataract in 2005 and had it operated on and in one day went from 20-200 to 20/25 in only a few hrs!! The eye focuses at long distance.

Now need to have the left eye operated on and they will install a lens in that eye that will focus at CLOSE distance!!!!...

Its gonna be "heck" to find a cheater with 2 different "visions" in it???
        Evidently from what the doc tells me the close / distance thingy is done every day...no need for "glasses" at all then???

Comment

Something I learned is that if your glasses have an astigmatism correction, wear them under the hood and use a cheater. The cheater does the magnification and the glasses do the astigmatism bending and lo and behold, I can see great. Need a less powerful cheater b/c the glasses are doing some of the mag work. Add a bright light for icing on the cake.
          Garfish

Comment

Originally posted by sunpeople View Post
            I'm the one that's 35 with good eyes. I still like the cheater. The brother-in-law is 33. What I really like about the cheater is you can have your head a little more out of ideal position and further away from the work if needed and still see as if you were close.

Comment

Just wondering

How close are you getting to the puddle to see it clearly? I keep a contact in my right eye and haven't used a cheater yet. But it sounds like I might use one.

Comment

cheater lens

i'm 30 and have been wearing bifocals since i was 6.i think by the time i'm 50 i'll have to use binoculars under my hood...

Comment

Originally posted by PJinNJ View Post
                  How close are you getting to the puddle to see it clearly?
                  Jersey, Probably 15" (that's 0.381 meter for yall Canadian readers) and maybe a smidge closer sometimes. Up close and personal w/ lots of bright light on the work.
                  Garfish

Comment

Thanks

That's about where I am too, up close and personal, but I'm lacking bright lights. Maybe I'll try that and the cheaters to change my view of things. Of course it could be that I'm 56.......... but I doubt that, I still feel young I just can't see if I look it. LOL

Comment

I just bought bifocal safety glasses to wear under the hood, available at most welding or safety supply stores. Hopefully they will help seeing the puddle.
                      Miller 140 A/S
                      HF Flux Core
                      Dewalt Chop Saw
                      Smith O/A Torch
                      Ryobi Grinder, Craftsman & HF Grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classicsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PJinNJ View Post
                        That's about where I am too, up close and personal, but I'm lacking bright lights. Maybe I'll try that and the cheaters to change my view of things. Of course it could be that I'm 56.......... but I doubt that, I still feel young I just can't see if I look it. LOL
                        I am at that 50 mark too. One of those cheap 500w halogen shop lights will make your eyes young again. They get hot though, so watch out.
                        Garfish

Comment

For Sully

Hi,

I have mon-vision contact lenses. One contact is set for distance and the other for close work. That sounds like what the docs are going to do for you.

I still like cheaters since I get a good picture from both eyes. Look for cheaters that the lenses can be popped out of the frame and buy two sets of different strengths and swap lenses. I paid about $3.00 for mine so they are cheap.

I even asked my eye doc to calculate the best correction for me since I weld closer than I read or use a computer and I like a little extra correction for welding.

Just by the way, if you can't have young eyes mono-vision is a good solution. Day-to-day I put my contacts in the morning and don't wear any glasses (except safety if needed) all day, but if I'm driving through nice country I still put in two distance contacts and carry my reading glasses. It's a nicer view.

Comment

Working...
                          X