Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welds, before, after . . . penetration ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welds, before, after . . . penetration ?

I've welded on and off for a few years. I'm about to embark on some major surgery on my car [ suspension upgrade ]. So i thought i'd take some pics for you guys to check out.

Here is a weld that looks great to me. This is on 1/4 tubing. I bevelled the edges and burned it in nice, i decided to cut it away to take a look at the penetration.

Any info, advice or words would be appreciated

Welds :

Inside :

Looks good to me, that small lack of fusion on the inside is nothing to worry about, considering the joint setup. I'd pass it.

Comment

Nice use of thumbnails linked to the massively larger pictures. First time I have seen that on this forum. Great looking welds too.
      Lincoln 175HD
      Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
      Smith AW1, Dillon (Henrob) Mark III & Smith Quickbraze Little Torch

Comment

I agree its good to go but I would run some on pieces of common flat plate before cutting on my pricey tubing. I do some beveling when I have to but 95% of the time its all about the gap.
        http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Wrap your welds around the corners... don't have your starts and stops there as you have in the pictures. Otherwise i'd say they look ok.
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SMS View Post
            Wrap your welds around the corners... don't have your starts and stops there as you have in the pictures. Otherwise i'd say they look ok.
            Steve
            What he said.

Feather your starts with your grinder, then run over them to terminate. You have IP on those cross sections. Maybe more bevel or a bit of a gap will help you get full penetration. With no more info than was presented it would be hard to say if the welds would be sufficient for the application.
            Two turn tables and a microphone.

Comment

Originally posted by SMS View Post
              Steve
              Excellent advice!!!

Comment

Working...
              X