Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot Welding Copper-to-Copper

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could bring me peace with an issue I have. I am currently using a Hobart spot welder. The electrodes are of course very high in copper content. Yet, I am needing to spot weld copper tubes. The problem is that there is a fair amount of adhesion at the end of every weld - making it hard to remove the copper tube from the copper electrode. I have tried running the spot welder in series with a high-powered variac to reduce the current through the electrodes to reduce adhesion - and this works well - as you have more control on the welds. (Any discontent with this solutions?)

Now I am wondering on how to implement a shielding gas with my spot welding operation. I have cylinders of argon available. Do I need a high-pressure stream directed at the point of the weld in open atmosphere? Do I need an encapsulated working environment to "drown" the workpiece with the surrounding gas? What safety precautions are needed? In general - what is the most efficient/safest way to implement an inert gas with my copper-to-copper spot welding application?

I appreciate all of the help! Thank you all.

Scott

I'd have a look around a place like this http://www.resweld.com/catalog.php or this http://www.spotweldingconsultants.com/tungsten.html to see if you can get some tungsten tips for your spot welder. That should help with the sticking.

I did see this out on the web, for what it's worth: "You need to set a very little heat time when welding Copper to Copper.The reason is that as copper is a good conducter it does not generate any resistance which is essential during spot welding.The copper eats all the heat itself very fast.Give a short time and high current pulse.

Use tugstun or molybdenum electrodes on both the sides.If you want a sketch of the electrode you send me a drawing of your component by email.I will send a sketch to you.

You can aslo use a brazing paste,black siver paste in between the weld joint when welding.This paste creates resistance and aids in a good weld.
    "
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------

Comment

Sketch

Thank you so much for your help. I am now in need of obtaining custom-designed Tungsten tips. I am going to contact some companies to see if they can replicate my electrodes I have now but in Tungsten!

I am not a good CAD drawer at all. Do you think they will accept the electrodes I have by mail, and then their people can just replicate it that way, or should I draw it up first (will take MUCH more time)? Also, do you have any "ballpark" guess to how much two custom-designed tungsten electrodes will cost?!

Thanks for your help,
      SCOTT

Comment

Custom designed ??? Maybe you could put up a hand sketch or something so we can see what you mean. Can you put a tungsten button on the end of what you have? Like pasties at a titty bar?

Comment

haha,

yeah i see what you mean. I am looking into dressing the tip now. I have tungsten carbide available, will this work just as well as pure tungsten or molybdenum?

THANKS,

SCOTT

Comment

I don't know.

Comment

Working...
            X