tube question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tube question

I was looking for some 5.5 O.D. /.125 walled steel tube. I have found some in a .120 walled Hot Rolled ERW. Is the erw a higher strength tubing and what the heck is "stretch reduction" ?

Thanks Phil

I did some searching, and couldn't find steel tube, of 5.5" now 5" pipe has an OD of 5.5", but a wall of .25" They don't make sch 10 in that diameter, either. Where are you getting your information? Stretch reduction I think would apply to the bending properties of the pipe/tube.

Comment

ERW stands for "extruded, rolled, and welded". I'm pretty sure that's what the E is for, I know it's rolled and welded. It's just tubing, unless you need DOM (drawn over mandrel), then you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
        ERW stands for "extruded, rolled, and welded". I'm pretty sure that's what the E is for, I know it's rolled and welded. It's just tubing, unless you need DOM (drawn over mandrel), then you're good to go.
        Nope, ERW = electric resistance welded.

Comment

The tube I found was from a local supplier who would have to order it in. My issue is the .005 difference in wall thickness. I was wondering if ERW was a better quality of tube that might let me overlook the difference in thickness. 5" sched. 10 pipe was going to be my next choice but it is hard to find and the extra weight would cause some issues. At 14.40 a foot it makes me think the ERW should be real special. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks guys

Phil

Comment

Working...
          X