Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one who can't get a good VU with 6011?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one who can't get a good VU with 6011?

Howdy Howdy!

I usually run 6010 5P+ which is a standard mid grade lincoln all position rod. I ran out, on a weekend, in the middle of a project, and my backup stast was allready moved to our new location 3 hours away. I DID have several pounds of 6011. So, away I went. I had a heck of a time with it in vert up! talk about @$$ looking welds! Sure they're 100% structural, and it's on an overbuilt tandem axle trailer... not a race car, but I just could not get the things to burn well for me.

I tried both ep and en, varied the current up to 20% +/-, tried messing with the inductance or DIG, and no matter what I did, they ended up tall globby and really ridged. I started with 1/8". Penetration was great, wetout seemed mediocre. I eventually went to a 3/32" rod, and really stuck it in the joint. This gave me the best success. Enough for me to continue with this rod till I called it a night. I was welding 3 X3" 1/4" think angle steel on the side of 1/8" thick frame rail tubing. these are the brackets that hold the spring eyes and trunnion in place. So fillets in vert up.

Are there some tricks or trade secrets that I'm missing? Does everyone 6011 vert up look crappy compared to horizontal? Am I just getting too fussy over something no ones ever going to look at? Or should I just wait till I can get some 6010? Thanks folks! Brian Lee Sparkeee28

6011 takes a lot of practice to get it looking good, it has a deep digging arc, 6010 is better for your application, for me, I like to use 7018 for everything I can't MIG. (which isn't very often)

Comment

Nope. You aren't the only one to try and find the sweet spot for the 6011. I don't think I ever will.

Comment

I usually, which is not very often, run 6011 on ac. If I have some
        p.o.s. rusty something, the 6011 will dig in real well, never the best
        looking though.
        Dave P.

Comment

If you have DC use it, runs so much better especially uphill.
          http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

The 6011 was designed as the ac alternative to the 6010 rod which needs to be run on dc+. It has more arc stabilizers in it. I have used the 6011 on occasion on DC+ and don't find it to be all that much different than the 6010. I use the whip and pause method on both rods. The 6011 may like to run a little hotter than the 6010.

Comment

It could also be a bad batch of rod. I picked up a 50 pound box of 5/32 6011 from airgas(I hate them but needed wire), and it pissed, farted, stuck, and burned. I couldnt get it to run right if you payed me(and I was getting payed). It turned out to just be a bum batch of rods, I swaped them out for a new box the next day and they ran as good as airgas wire can run.
              "Weld It And You Won't Be Screwed"
              Rescued from the boneyard SA-250 on a fully equipt trailer (My Wife's Explorer cries every time I hitch up)
              Trailblazer 301G (can't touch the SA-200 for stick)
              Arcair K-4000 A.K.A "The Hissing Cobra"
              HF- 251 TIG box for the TB with a Weldcrap torch, Yes I weld aluminum
              More than a toolbox full of stuff on an F-350 that is way to small

Comment

i know there is a brown 6011 that is lincoln 180 that isn't as pretty as the gray fluxed 6011s. i cant recall it's number off the top of my head. i have found that they run a triangle weave vu prettier than a stringer whip vu. i think that it is because the puddle stays hotter and wets out better. i don't know for sure as i am now a real weldor.

Comment

i prefer the 6011 over the 5p+, what i do is run slight side and upward weaves, similar to 7018 for vu. turn the heat up if you are getting ridges real bad. it is a fast freeze puddle. pause only on the sides, dont spend time in the center, you'll ridge badly that way too. only weave as wide as the rod. hope this helps.

i had to go outside and run a bead to see how i do it. hard for me to explain sometimes.
                  welder_one

Comment

Most of these are up. Number 4 is overhead.

Comment

Don't stop there, Cary....let's see some 6013, and 7018

Comment

I don't know anything besides whip and pause and I rarely weld. My work is so hit and miss and rudimentary that I don't get any practice. I weld about 6 times for a few minutes last winter and I was amazed how out shape I was when I actually try to run a couple nice coupons. I bet I ain't ran 10# of rod in 10 yrs and when I do its just to blast some weld on a crude repair. I have used 6013 but when I was a working welder it was 6010 and mostly 7018.

Comment

What have You and the crew been up to on the farm Cary?

Comment

Working...
                          X