X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldguyfrom56
    started a topic Welding Related Educational Resource Library

Welding Related Educational Resource Library

Located in too darn cold for my liking Edmonton Alberta Canada, T5W3X5. I'm make a New Year's Resolution of not being so smart. As a result of the behavioural change, I find my self with a need to release from my grip, a vast array of welding related titles. Of interest to some, old news to others, but varied in depth and knowledge just the same.

I would prefer to sell them as ONE LOT of USED BOOKS.

While I haven't sat down and listed all the titles, look at the pictures, you will see some serious reading. As well lots not shown as mentioned.
    There is a buyer for ever thing, it comes down to price. Or an offer I'm prepared to accept. I'm held to no specific belief in value or worth, that is for interested parties to decide themselves.

One thing is 99% certain, being smarter rarely kills a guy.

• oldguyfrom56
    replied
    Originally posted by 6goutlaw View Post
    I agree with the investing in yourself principle. I want to work on getting my car very and then the car and maybe teach at a community college. I 'm a little skittish on what the shipping would be. I don't want to cheap out and lowball either. How bout 300.00. Education is priceless. What are you thinking?
    Investing in yourself is a good thing. Want to know how do it on the cheap? Here's a solid. Have you priced out an AWS membership? For the price of that, a year of the Welding Journal comes your way and you get a free book thrown in with the deal. Get the book not the disc. Then, start filling out the product information requests. Not only will you get regular mail, some of it will be interesting. You get free samples, bonus. As well, most sections have cheap meals, guest speakers, and you get to rub up to those in industry who move and shake in interesting circles of employment.
    Go to the library once and rip them from the other magazines there. Fill them out and send them in. It works, it's free. Next thing you know, invites to Fab tech and trade shows. I'm telling you, balling big time.

As far as the offer goes, I'm going to pass. Not enough to ring my bell. Don't get be wrong, it's not money to sneeze at, and I know how hard it is to gather it up it one pile. But if you investigate further, I passed on a lot to amass the collection. $300 on a pallet at my estate sale, pretty good deal.

I did mention in my previous email book weight and UPS fees on the weight estimate of 150lbs in case you wanted to look around for better rates.. I was hoping you were going to say you'd fly me and the books down to see sites, eat fine, and live the dream in some place warm for a couple weeks. I'm not feeling the love?
    Last edited by oldguyfrom56; 02-24-2019, 11:14 PM. Reason: That quotes for you Dale.

Leave a comment:

• 6goutlaw
    replied
    I agree with the investing in yourself principle. I want to work on getting my car very and then the car and maybe teach at a community college. I 'm a little skittish on what the shipping would be. I don't want to cheap out and lowball either. How bout 300.00. Education is priceless. What are you thinking?

Leave a comment:

• oldguyfrom56
    replied
    6goutlaw, I'd have to look into it a bit further. I'm thinking for the weight of them, shipped freight might be the better method, although I'm sure the guys in the brown trucks might ship them at a price? There's a bit of weight in those books. Those 4 AWS were around 15lbs. Doing the math, it could be 150 lbs boxed, give or take? UPS had low and slow for $370 CDN.
    I'm not sure if you would have tariffs or duty fees, and shipping by freight could most likely require a broker? Price is right, I'll fly them down and we can talk welding.

As far as worth or value goes? I invested in myself. Over a span of 15 years I spent staff development money on books amongst other things. I was able to answer a lot of questions. The worth of investment, while note worthy, I'm sure setting the room on fire would pay a small return as well.
    Not wanting to go that route, I thought what are my other options for the collection? My back ground is welding education and training. Not only did they make me smarter, they helped me make others smarter as well. Still do.

But worth what? That's for you to decide with considerations given to the perceived value they hold? Some just see old books and that they are? I had thought that if the gas got shut off, power went out, I could stay warm burning them?
    Other's will see that welding course was going to cost me x dollars and with self study see a gold mine waiting to be dug up?

Take a look at the titles. Then remember education. A..D...H...LMNO...STU...XYZ. I can't believe the blanks. Some of it is the same old story, but it's how the story gets told that accounts for the reading.

Frankly, I've been thinking of Welding Engineering? They could still come in handy?
    But in a moment of cold induced stress weakness thought, sell it all and move to the warmth.
    I'm not looking to give them away. I was actually glad getting bumped from the spot light.
    First step was the posting here.
    Quite frankly, I've been fishing the idea and got a nibble of interest. You and yours. Thank you.
    Let's see where it goes?

Leave a comment:

• 6goutlaw
    replied
    In interested in your books that you want to sell. I can't price another man things. There is a lot of reference material there and I would take it all. Can you the best you can estimate the weight of all the books and give me some idea of what the shipping might be to zip code 28779, Sylva NC usa

Leave a comment:

Working...
X