Looking for High Frequency Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for High Frequency Unit

DDA fixed me up with an AC/DC Miller Thuderbolt, which replaces my trusty 225 AC unit. He also gave me brief intro to scratch start DC TIG, so, of course, I'm hooked! Some day I may be able to afford a TIG machine, but in, the meantime, would like to score a (cheap) High Frequency unit that would hook to this welder...hopefully one that has provisions for foot control;. I passed up a nice miller 210 (or 215??) unit a couple years ago that had the foot pedal ,torch, etc for $300.00, because I didn't know anything about TIG yet...and I still only know enough to make me want to learn a lot more, and start doing it. (...and I don't expect to run across a deal like DDA got on his big yellow machine ...plus I'd have to re-wire my whole place to feed that beauty!)

I end up working with a lot of sheet metal, and my MIG is pretty limited for getting the results I'd like to work up to...like my Stainless roadster I recently completed....all the way through that project I kept thinking how great it would have been to do pretty TIG welds on all those seams.

So, offer me advice, and keep your eyes open for me in the event such a piece of equipment shows up in your area. Right now I have an empty 17 series torch (Hey, Don, I fixed that leak!), just bought a Bouncy Ball Flowmeter off ebay, and am keeping my eyes open for a tank to use for pure argon.
    Last edited by Hotfoot; 12-20-2008, 10:37 PM.
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
    DDA fixed me up with an AC/DC Miller Thuderbolt, which replaces my trusty 225 AC unit. He also gave me brief intro to scratch start DC TIG, so, of course, I'm hooked! Some day I may be able to afford a TIG machine, but in, the meantime, would like to score a (cheap) High Frequency unit that would hook to this welder...hopefully one that has provisions for foot control;. I passed up a nice miller 210 (or 215??) unit a couple years ago that had the foot pedal ,torch, etc for $300.00, because I didn't know anything about TIG yet...and I still only know enough to make me want to learn a lot more, and start doing it. (...and I don't expect to run across a deal like DDA got on his big yellow machine ...plus I'd have to re-wire my whole place to feed that beauty!)

I end up working with a lot of sheet metal, and my MIG is pretty limited for getting the results I'd like to work up to...like my Stainless roadster I recently completed....all the way through that project I kept thinking how great it would have been to do pretty TIG welds on all those seams.

So, offer me advice, and keep your eyes open for me in the event such a piece of equipment shows up in your area. Right now I have an empty 17 series torch (Hey, Don, I fixed that leak!), just bought a Bouncy Ball Flowmeter off ebay, and am keeping my eyes open for a tank to use for pure argon.

The only thing the foot control would do is make or break the arc and only then if the box had a contactor inside. The weldor is what must control the amps not the HF box.
    Miller Dynasty 700...oh yea baby!
    MM 350P PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller 30-A spoolgun
    Airco 300 Heliwelder (465 amp and made by Miller)
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Lincoln SP-135-Plus (down the road now)

Comment

I'll keep my eyes open. Any HF unit you get will have to be cobbled into the T'bolt you know. I figure if they can do it to Tombstones, the T'bolt should be possible as well.

Good deal on the torch. I figured the connection was maybe loose....I just never got around to fixing it.
      Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

What I was thinking is a foot control would taper off the amps as needed to maintain control on thin stuff. Is a HF box with a contactor what I should seek? I'm a total newbie to TIG...
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by dda52 View Post
          I'll keep my eyes open. Any HF unit you get will have to be cobbled into the T'bolt you know. I figure if they can do it to Tombstones, the T'bolt should be possible as well.

Good deal on the torch. I figured the connection was maybe loose....I just never got around to fixing it.
          I figure seeing how Miller makes the 210/215 HF units, they are made to hook up to their machines...if not, I'll learn on this, then jump to a TIG when I sell some more art.

Yup, I carefully slit the shrink tube off , and the brass fitting the gas tube went was unscrewed all the way, just resting in alignment. the shrink tube was getting pressurized, and then the gas was flowing out the torch...probably out the other end of the wrap as well...that would explain why we had to crank up the flow a bit. I had that gas line adapter in my drawer of fittings, so I may do a pressure/leak check with C25 and a bit of soapy water tomorrow before I wrap it all back up.
          "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...eq+thunderbolt
            Esab 2200 AC/DC
            Thermal 211i
            Thermal Pee-wee 85s
            Smith O/A plus mini torch
            Smith machine torch
            LN-25 pro
            LF-72 feeder
            Edwards 65 ton
            5X10 CNC table
            Victor A-120
            Miller Shopmate 300DX
            S-74D feeder

Remember good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Hey, Brand X, Great link back!!! Saved me from wading out past the "deep water" markers!! It looks like I'll hold off and look for a TIG deal! The advice given on the frail nature of the Thundebolt for even DC TIG is well taken, so I believe I will hold my torch and flowmeter for a "true" application...plus, if the TIG I end up with also runs stick, I know (as evidenced by all the responses DDA got...but hopefully without the death threat from the guy who lost the sale) I can turn the thunderbolt around in a heartbeat to use as some extra TIG scratch.

Thanks, guys. Great amount of knowledge here.
              "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

You can still play around with DC scratch start. That won't strain the machine. Its a bit rough, but doable.
                Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Yup!...will do!
                  "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
                  X