Another ss welding ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another ss welding ?

Hello all, I haven't been around in a while,hope everyone is doing well. I need to ask some questions on welding some ss. I have the front off an old Hobart commercial dish machine, looks to be around 16 gauge or 18 gauge. I am trying to bend and weld this piece into a sand flea rake(if anyone does any salt water fishing). Anyway I sold my Dynasty 200dx a couple of years ago when I needed money, so all I have left is one of those big Lincoln stick welders (with a/c, dc, dc reverse and a Miller 251 mig. I have straight argon and 75/25 gas available. I can get a small roll of ss wire from Airgas or ss rods(don't know which ones). What would be best to give it a shot. Welds don't have to be beautiful but it would be better if they don't rust(got reg .24,.30 wire) . I need to know some parameters if you have a guess on the
    1. ballpark voltage and wire speed on mig
    2. ballpark voltage on stick welder and dc, or dc reverse
    3. what designation wire on the mig (I thing Airgas had Lincoln wire not that it matters)
    4. what size 3/16" or 1/16" on the stick and what number

Thanks for your assistance, David

Originally posted by echo8287 View Post
    Hello all, I haven't been around in a while,hope everyone is doing well. I need to ask some questions on welding some ss. I have the front off an old Hobart commercial dish machine, looks to be around 16 gauge or 18 gauge. I am trying to bend and weld this piece into a sand flea rake(if anyone does any salt water fishing). Anyway I sold my Dynasty 200dx a couple of years ago when I needed money, so all I have left is one of those big Lincoln stick welders (with a/c, dc, dc reverse and a Miller 251 mig. I have straight argon and 75/25 gas available. I can get a small roll of ss wire from Airgas or ss rods(don't know which ones). What would be best to give it a shot. Welds don't have to be beautiful but it would be better if they don't rust(got reg .24,.30 wire) . I need to know some parameters if you have a guess on the
    1. ballpark voltage and wire speed on mig
    2. ballpark voltage on stick welder and dc, or dc reverse
    3. what designation wire on the mig (I thing Airgas had Lincoln wire not that it matters)
    4. what size 3/16" or 1/16" on the stick and what number

Thanks for your assistance, David
    Hobart has a technical guide on welding stainless that you can download, but you have to fill out a questionnaire and give them your e-mail, to get it. I refused, so I have no idea of quality, but it may help you.

http://landing.hobartbrothers.com/st...-welding-guide

Comment

Lincoln guide for stainless: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...LSi/c64000.pdf
      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------

Comment

Working...
      X