Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless wire vs. steel wire

Question.
    I do alot of welding stainless steel, but I also occasionally weld just your normal steel, and heck sometimes stainless to normal steel.

I know that if I use steel wire eventually it will rust. But because I like to weld anything and everything, I am not sure that I want to have to change out a roll of wire for every project.

So my question is, is it better to just weld everything with stainless wire, or use the steel wire and use polyurethane spray sealer to slow the rusting process down?

thanks!

Originally posted by jrasche2003 View Post
    Question.
    I do alot of welding stainless steel, but I also occasionally weld just your normal steel, and heck sometimes stainless to normal steel.

I know that if I use steel wire eventually it will rust. But because I like to weld anything and everything, I am not sure that I want to have to change out a roll of wire for every project.

So my question is, is it better to just weld everything with stainless wire, or use the steel wire and use polyurethane spray sealer to slow the rusting process down?

thanks!
    For your art, stainless will be fine on stainless and stainless to steel. If your doing a steel project, just take the extra time to change it. It would be fine on mild steel really for art.
    Miller dynasty 350
    Miller syncrowave 250
    Miller deltaweld 450
    Miller cp-300
    And one fancy microwelding setup

Comment

I have several welders set up with the different wires I use regularly. Saves a lot of time changing wire. Otherwise just pop the rolls up, spool it backwards and put on a new spool.
      Walker
      Chief slag chipper & floor sweeper
      Ironwood Artistic

Comment

Stainless Steel handsdown!

As a matter of fact, steel can get rust and stainless can't. So, you might have guessed what I'm biased at - stainless steel. If your work includes steel related then you must use steel wire. However, if you ask me, I would recommend using stainless wire as they are more durable than simple steel wire.
        Last edited by Henry Jordan; 06-19-2013, 06:27 AM.
        Word's best quality of Hydraulic Seal Kits from WQSeals LLC

Comment

stainless steel is always preferable because of reliability.. so i go for it...
          gambling for real money
          Last edited by sofiamcComas; 10-17-2014, 01:08 AM.

Comment

I think you should only use for the steel wire. if you do weld everything with stainless wire it will happen not accepting to you may be.

Thanks
            Scrap Metal Prices

Comment

I think stainless wire would be the best choice.

Comment

Working...
              X