Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CO2/Argon mix for welding stainless 316?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2/Argon mix for welding stainless 316?

Hi,

I'm making a water tank out of 2.5mm stainless steel 316 grade. Just wondering if using a C02/Argon mix would cause any problems. I'm using a mig.

Thanks in advance

The welded area won't be "as stainless as before" and may rust.

Comment

I've welded stainless with C-25, and it works if you've got enough welder. There's no rusting problem if you use stainless filler.

I'd certainly try what you've got before investing in tri-mix.

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      MM 210 w/3035, BWE
      HH 210 w/DP 3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
      Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

I'll definatly be using 316 grade mig wire. Just wasn't sure about the gas. I always thought pure argon was meant to be used.

So shouldn't cause any issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Com_VC View Post
          I'll definatly be using 316 grade mig wire. Just wasn't sure about the gas. I always thought pure argon was meant to be used.

So shouldn't cause any issues?
          Using just argon will give you too much wetting out, you need CO2 to stabilize the arc...also any spatter you get will be real hard to remove unless you spray the weld area with nozzle spray...then the spatter won't stick.

Comment

Hi,

I'm making a water tank out of 2.5mm stainless steel 316 grade. Just wondering if using a C02/Argon mix would cause any problems. I'm using a mig.

Thanks in advance
            straight argon is only used in the tig method the co2/argon will work but the weld will be black and lots of spatter it is expensive but tri mix gas that has helium argon and co2 is the recommended gas for any stainless hard wire flux core stainless uses co2/argon i recomend tig welding with back up gas if this water tank is to be used for potable water

Comment

stainless water tank

Hi,

Thanks in advance
              straight argon is only used in the tig method the co2/argon will work but the weld will be black and lots of spatter it is expensive but tri mix gas that has helium argon and co2 is the recommended gas for any stainless hard wire flux core stainless uses co2/argon i recomend tig welding with back up gas if this water tank is to be used for potable water

Comment

Working...
              X