Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What grade of Silver Solder for Brass to Stainless Steel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What grade of Silver Solder for Brass to Stainless Steel?

Hi,

I'm trying to add some brass fittings to a oil tank I have for my gokart project. I was told Silver Solder would do the trick, but I see many different types.

What % should i use? I heard 56% from a couple people, but it seemed priciy for the tiny amount you get - maybe it goes a long way.

Thanks for the help!
    HH 140
    HF Mig
    40Amp Plasma Cutter

I have used 45% Engelhard Silvaloy lots of times to silver braze brass to stainless steel and mild steel and had real good luck with it. Just make sure that when you buy the silver solder that you buy the right silver solder flux at the same time.

One more thing make sure that both items are clean and use flux on both parts. I like to use a rose bud to heat up the parts i am going to solder. Using the rose bud i am able to heat both parts to a dull cheery red and at this temp the solder flows quick and wicks into the joints fast.

You will find that the fit between the two parts you are soldering together can be a lose fit i have seen as much as .015 thousand clearance between the two parts and they have soldered just fine, silver solder is very strong and very forgiving. Now don't misunderstand me the fit does not have to be this lose, all i am saying is i have seen items solder with this large of a gap and it worked but a closer fit would be better.

You said in your post that you though that this was a lot of money for a little bit of solder but don't look so much at the cost but look more at what your using it for. You said your going to use it on a oil tank so the way i look at it i would want the best money could buy and i would not even be thinking about cost. isn't your safety, or the safety of whoever is going to be using the item more important that a few dollars.

Just my 2 cents, you may look at it different.
    Last edited by sunpeople; 05-15-2008, 12:27 AM.
    Hobart Tigwave 250
    Hobart Pulser
    Hobart Tig Cooler
    9X42 Bridgeport
    14X40 Engine Lathe
    Darex Tool Grinders
    Hor.&Ver. Bandsaws
    Boyar Schultz 6X12 Surface Grinder
    Never Forget Our Freedom is not free! Thank you to all of the serviceman and woman in harms way overseas because without them we would have no freedom! God Bless The USA!

Comment

Hey iposthere,
      I use a 60/40 silver-solder .035 wire my father used to get me where he worked from the left-over spools from their welding machines. He gave me over 200 ozs. that I have used for over 30 years now and maybe used 1/2 of it. It is quite handy for many easy repairs, especially thin metals and really works superb for cast iron or steel. It is the prime bonding method for all the tungsten carbide cutting tools used in most industries for machining. I use sil-sol to replace the carbide tips on my lathe & mill cutters & 14" dry-cut saw blades. I use Lucas-Milhaupt Handi-Flux religiously with out failure. The cleaner the metal, the better the bond. I really agree with sunpeople regarding technique and the parameters you can do with sil-sol. The best results will come by practicing on some scrap pieces with similar dimensions, and you can use any heat from propane to MAPP to O/A depending on material thicknesses/size. Good Luck...... Denny
      Complete weld/mach./fab shop
      Mobile unit

"A man's word is his honor...without honor, there is nothing."

"Words are like bullets.... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

"I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the American Flag & the US Constitution."

Comment

5% will work but takes a little more heat. John
        Long time Teacher - Processes
        Owner - 2 LWS's
        Hobart - Lincoln- Miller - ESAB(Linde)

Comment

Be careful not to use too much heat. It will turn black and you'll have too start all over again.....

Comment

To mnop928,

Translation please............?

Denny
            Complete weld/mach./fab shop
            Mobile unit

"A man's word is his honor...without honor, there is nothing."

"Words are like bullets.... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

"I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the American Flag & the US Constitution."

Comment

Originally posted by yorkiepap View Post
              To mnop928,

Translation please............?
              Translation: SPAM.
              Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Just curious, why not use stainless fittings and tig it. There are some really nice stainless fittings available...and you will keep the heat to a minimum....

BC
                Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
                Hobart Beta Mig 200
                Twenty seven Hammers
                Three Crow Bars
                One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Here is a site that has all the information about brazing and the types of filler metals,fluxes you could ever want.
                  http://www.lucasmilhaupt.com/htmdocs...ing_about.html
                  Look in the left sidebar and scroll down for the technical and MSDS documents for filler metal and flux. Whether you call it silver solder or silver brazing or just brazing!
                  glen, been there, done that and probably broke it!If you aren't on the edge. You'r taking up to much room

Comment

Working...
                  X