welding exhaust tab on titanium dirt bike frame question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding exhaust tab on titanium dirt bike frame question

is it possible to weld this without a back purge? a friend wants me to try this and i don't have a way to back purge, i also don't want to invest in equipment for this because i don't need it for what i normally do steel (aluminum and stainless rarely)

its only a tab to hold the exhaust, i haven't seen the frame so i don't know much about it but i do know he has titanium tabs and the filler rod for it. its a 2 stroke frame that's getting 4stroke engine and the exhaust is the heaviest part (from what he told me)

any help would be greatly appreciated

The thing about Ti, is if it turns blue or gray, it will be brittle, and may not even pass the floor-drop test. You do need to back it up. One way is to have a splitter on your argon regulator, and a back up hose with a gas screen lens in it, and have a friend keep the gas on the back side of the tab till it cools, and when you finish the weld allow the torch gas to cover it till it cools, so you will need to set your post purge to last about 40 seconds. It can be yellow or straw color, but not anything else.

You might consider just putting a big tack on each end of the tab, so you can play the gas on both sides, and hold it till it cools bright chrome color. If it does turn blue, you can reheat it, till you can make it look right.

Comment

hmm maybe ill just fab up something to clamp on the the area in question, maybe cut some round tubing in half so i have to "c" shaped pieces then weld some sleeves so it can be nut and bolted

thanks for the reply Rocky as always very helpful thanks again

Comment

I am unaware of any production dirtbike with a titanium frame - interested to know the make of this bike.

Is this for a rear sub-frame?

Scott
        American Made

Haul your MX or offroad bike without straps -> www.mxtras.com

MXtras' Storage Cabinet thread - http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=15905

MXtras' Storage Cabinet Plans - http://reference.toolandfab.com/writ...nets/index.htm

Comment

ill have to ask him, i know nothing about dirt bikes, he races in a b-class motorcross division or something like that (i dont even know what that means lol) ill ask him and see if he can send me some pics

Comment

A class = Pro
            B class = Intermediate
            C class = Novice
            D class = Beginner

If he's a B rider, he's pretty good and knows what he's doing.

Scott
            American Made

Haul your MX or offroad bike without straps -> www.mxtras.com

MXtras' Storage Cabinet thread - http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=15905

MXtras' Storage Cabinet Plans - http://reference.toolandfab.com/writ...nets/index.htm

Comment

Titanium???

May want to check on the frame material. Most MX bikes have either a steel main frame and aluminum subframe (where the seat, airbox, and rear fender are), or an all aluminum frame like the later Hondas. I can't think of any production bikes that used titanium frames or subframes.

Comment

Maybe an aftermarket titanium sub frame or something like that?
                HH210
                2 Smith Airline outfits, 2 Harris 50s,2 W200s ,J27, Meco Midget and Dillon
                Thermal Arc 185

Comment

i asked him and this was his responce, he dont have any pics tho.

"the sub frame is for the rear of the dirtbike basically the rear of the seat the back fender and number plate bolt to it as well as the muffler. most are steel, some aluminum. on the 4 stroke sthey were steel and heavy and this titanium one is liek super light feels like and empty water bottle"

Comment

might be chromoly or aluminum..

http://brennraum.ktm.com/issue-02/kt...me-production/
                    Last edited by brucer; 12-03-2010, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Unless it's a one off works chassis, I also seriously doubt it's titanimum. I bet it'a aluminum alloy.
                      So little time...So many machine tools.........
                      www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
                      Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
                      Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
                      Harris OA
                      Too many motorcycles.............-
                      sigpic

Comment

Hello guys....!
                        Thank you for you generosity! At this forum, you share us so important message.I like this kind of post which tell us much important massage.thank you again.
                        Los Angeles SEO Services

Comment

Originally posted by Christabel View Post
                          Hello guys....!
                          Thank you for you generosity! At this forum, you share us so important message.I like this kind of post which tell us much important massage.thank you again.
                          I like a good massage as well. I just don't tell the wife.
                          So little time...So many machine tools.........
                          www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
                          Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
                          Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
                          Harris OA
                          Too many motorcycles.............-
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X