Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another broken casting....

Hey guys,
    Here's another broken casting that came in that was caused by another woman driver on her cell phone yadda...yadda...yadda instead of paying attention. This is a base/pedestal for a cast mailbox that is threaded at the top for the mailbox to be screwed down in place. Fortunately for my customer, the woman did stop to inform him of the damage & offered to pay for the repair. I finished it today & the customer was pleased with the outcome.

I've been doing all casting repairs with the Cold Welding Cast w/MIG process that has resulted in 100% success so far. I used .030, 309L, 98/2(AR-CO2), at 80A for this job. The customer had both pieces lightly ground clean to get a good look at the break so all I had to do was wire wheel the metal clean & put a .045 bevel on both pieces. The break fit together quite nicely & I did a very small tack on opposite sides to hold. Then I ran a 1" bead on opposite sides. The casting was only luke warm to my bare hands after welding. I allowed to cool for 15 min. & did another (2) 1" beads, again on opposite sides & repeated this process with 15 min. intervals. The casting never got more than luke warm to the touch & NO TINKLING of the casting so I knew it was solid with no cracks. Hope this may help someone. Here's the pics.

Denny
    Last edited by yorkiepap; 12-11-2009, 10:18 PM.
    Complete weld/mach./fab shop
    Mobile unit

"A man's word is his honor...without honor, there is nothing."

"Words are like bullets.... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

"I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the American Flag & the US Constitution."

nice job man
    Nick
    Syncrowave 200 Tig
    Century 50 Amp Plasma
    2- O/A outfits
    Spot welder
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horiz/vert bandsaw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter Metal Saw
    Electric Hydraulic vertical press
    CNC 60"x60" Plasma/Router table
    www.nixstuff.com
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ

Comment

Nice work...Bob
      Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
      Metal Master Fab
      Salem, Ohio
      Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
      http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

Originally posted by yorkiepap View Post
        so all I had to do was wire wheel the metal clean & put a .045 bevel on both pieces.
        Now that's a small bevel!
        Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Hey Zrexxer,
          Yes, that would seem small, although, with a .045 bevel on each piece, the .090 "V" provides a really good start of the .030 wire & puddles quite nicely to flow into the joint. It has worked nicely on other applications as well. Sometimes, minimal works best.

Denny
          Complete weld/mach./fab shop
          Mobile unit

"A man's word is his honor...without honor, there is nothing."

"Words are like bullets.... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back."

"I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the American Flag & the US Constitution."

Comment

Ahh I wondered about that... I thought you might have done something like I tend to do, like thinking 45º and typing .045.
            Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Wow another light pole guy.....hahahaha I repair the city's broken light poles all the time myself....BUT theirs are aluminum.......

Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
              Hobart Beta Mig 200
              Twenty seven Hammers
              Three Crow Bars
              One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

I have a 1998 murray riding mower and the front axle assembly is cast and it broke in two and also has a crack about 4" long from the bottom to the top. I havent figured out what process (Stick, tig or braze) I am going to use to repair it being it will be under heavy stress.

heres a pic of what it looks like

http://www.quickieparts.com/murray-p...-assembly.html

It sits in my house whispering to me "I want to be fixed" and I keep putting it off.

I"ll post the prep and repair with some pics when I get the urge to tackle it.
                sigpic
                Miller trailblazer 301G
                Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
                K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
                Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
                Hobart HH187
                Harris DLX STLWKR
                O/A & chemolene
                WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Comment

I have good results with Ni Rod Nickel 99 (Tig ) On cast iron. If it's cast steel just weld it with you mig or stick I guess.... I'm not a stick welder so maybe someone else can add to that....Good luck ...
                  Last edited by B_C; 12-21-2009, 09:09 PM.
                  Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
                  Hobart Beta Mig 200
                  Twenty seven Hammers
                  Three Crow Bars
                  One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Its definitely cast.

I never tigged cast iron. Will it create a puddle on the cast and add the ni rod nickle as filler like regular tigging or will it melt the nickel to the cast iron and fill as in soldering?
                    sigpic
                    Miller trailblazer 301G
                    Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
                    K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
                    Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
                    Hobart HH187
                    Harris DLX STLWKR
                    O/A & chemolene
                    WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Comment

Working...
                    X