Magnesium case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnesium case

I welded a customers Mag case (motorcycle) today and had a real tough time keeping it from creating porosity spots........I kept the heat on low until it smoothed out but still had a hard time...I have welded mag before (Not too many times) and can't remember it being that bad...it was probably a dirty casting...anyone weld mag a lot with some tips next time for the dirty castings.....

BC
    Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
    Hobart Beta Mig 200
    Twenty seven Hammers
    Three Crow Bars
    One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Originally posted by B_C View Post
    I welded a customers Mag case (motorcycle) today and had a real tough time keeping it from creating porosity spots........I kept the heat on low until it smoothed out but still had a hard time...I have welded mag before (Not too many times) and can't remember it being that bad...it was probably a dirty casting...anyone weld mag a lot with some tips next time for the dirty castings.....

BC
    Ive had to do some nasty cases as well. What I found that seemed to help was using a puler seting of about 120Hz with an AC frequency of around 175-200. This creates a rapid freeze-thaw in the puddle that helps bring the grunge to the surface. I also have been thourghly cleaning and baking the castings beforehand to help migrate the oils to the surface.
    -Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Smith, Meco, Harris, Victor, Prest-o-lite, Marquette and even a Dillon O/A torch

Comment

The only OVEN I have is Momma's and she will hurt me if I put a part in it...How about pre-heat with OA?

You must have an inverter welder with those specs....I have a Lincoln tig 355 sq. wave...What pps and background current would you suggest? I figure from experience with the pulser I would maybe use 3PPS and 50% background and maybe 150 amps and just work the pedal to make things happy......What do you think?
      Last edited by B_C; 12-30-2008, 09:24 AM.
      Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
      Hobart Beta Mig 200
      Twenty seven Hammers
      Three Crow Bars
      One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Never really checked before....Are there different grades of Mag Filler?

Dynasty 350
        Hobart Beta Mig 200
        Twenty seven Hammers
        Three Crow Bars
        One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Yes,AZ61A and AZ92A.

http://amfiller.com/files/mag_chart.pdf

This is pretty cool.
          Last edited by vwguy3; 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM.

Comment

So is there a good way to tell which one you need?
            I have some I bought like 10-11 years ago or even more and could not tell you what it was if my life depended on it. It has always worked for me tho
            It was $75 a pound back then.
            Miller Dynasty 700...oh yea baby!
            MM 350P PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Bobcat 225 NT
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller 30-A spoolgun
            Airco 300 Heliwelder (465 amp and made by Miller)
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Lincoln SP-135-Plus (down the road now)

Comment

Working...
            X