Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCF
    replied
    I did a job like that years ago on a foundry ladle. Hobart Expert pretty well sums it up, it's all about inter-pass cleaning and keeping the proper inter-pass temperatures. And any pre- and post-heat procedures etc. I highly recommend using a needle scaler and wire wheel on a grinder between passes, and a laser-infrared temp gun to monitor temps. I was using 1/16 Kobelco wire with CO2 at the time but I forget the exact specification (that was a long time ago...)

You are looking at a lot of heat input to a relatively small area, so I would consider the pre- and post-heat stress relieving if the procedures aren't already spelled out. The job I did was a bit more "spread out" but it was still very much like working inside an oven because that is what the part turned into -- an oven. It took days for it to cool down.
    Last edited by NCF; 07-05-2022, 06:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hobart Expert
    replied
    The biggest impact is inter-pass cleaning. You need to make sure each pass is chipped and wire-brushed and that no slag ends up stuck to the toes of the welds. Other than that maintaining proper inter-pass temperatures and making sure the pre-heat and post weld cooling is appropriate for the base material.

Leave a comment:

• THRUWALL
    replied
    let me rephrase that, i've always and only know fcaw as dualshield with 1/16 amd 3/32 wire. A defect cavity in a casting to be more specific. What are the best ways to fill a cavity 6" x 4" by 3" deep with a flat bottom , putting in multi pass layers and must pass x-ray, 3/32 linde r-70 wire on a miller digital dual head wire feed system with co2.

Leave a comment:

• Dale M.
    replied
    Not sure of you question, believe they do not make 1/16 or 3/32 FLUX CORE (FCAW) wire....Most MIG wire is designated as decimal (.0xx) and not fractions (x/xx) ..

And more details of what you are trying to fix would be helpful...
    Last edited by Dale M.; 04-21-2022, 08:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• THRUWALL
    started a topic Defect cavity fill in

Defect cavity fill in

New person, not much input from other employees whats the best way to weld large cavities with 1/16 or 3/32 fcaw wire. I've seen a few people do it different ways, i was told it can be done 5 or 6 different ways, haveno clue, any advise would be helpfull.
Working...
X