I like to drag these out every once in a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like to drag these out every once in a while

Two wonderful videos I like to look at once in a while. I hope they are never deleted from YouTube.

I picked up some cold roll round stock the other day. Various diameters. All 4 foot cuts. I almost hit the roof when I looked at the ticket. I suppose I was a bit unfair about it...…...read the dood the riot act. $60ish bucks for 12 feet of stock. Normally I buy full sticks, but I hate putting good cold roll out on the racks outside...….so I get short lengths for lathe stock, same with square bar for mill stock.

I tend to forget the capitalization required to produce the stuff, and the cost of inventory to carry it in stock locally. However, I didn't feel bad about my rant...……...UNTIL I WENT TO GET SOME ELECTRICAL SUPPLIES That electrical crap made the steel prices look like a giveaway

Comment

Originally posted by farmersamm View Post
      I picked up some cold roll round stock the other day. Various diameters. All 4 foot cuts. I almost hit the roof when I looked at the ticket. I suppose I was a bit unfair about it...…...read the dood the riot act. $60ish bucks for 12 feet of stock. Normally I buy full sticks, but I hate putting good cold roll out on the racks outside...….so I get short lengths for lathe stock, same with square bar for mill stock.

I tend to forget the capitalization required to produce the stuff, and the cost of inventory to carry it in stock locally. However, I didn't feel bad about my rant...……...UNTIL I WENT TO GET SOME ELECTRICAL SUPPLIES That electrical crap made the steel prices look like a giveaway

I'm going to respond twice. Pick the one you like best, go with it.

Yup, it sure sucks how they screw the average consumer. That much for a few pieces of bar stock is a crime.

Yup, you paid 3-4 times the price because you bought those from a chain store, bought in a small quantity, and bought a degree of convenience. Paid the piper you did.

Capitalization
      is the recordation of a cost as an asset, rather than an expense. This approach is used when a cost is not expected to be entirely consumed in the current period, but rather over an extended period of time.

You paid $60ish...I think that's an accounting moment when it left being there expense and became their asset and your expense. But I'm not a business major so don't think I know what I'm talking about.

I did however, in a weak moment, look at some material at Home Depot. I mumbled no, the bad word, then way was I paying that and walked.

Comment

Thank you, Samm, for those video links. I'm in awe of large metal-making industries. As for forging, not melting, there are some very modern plants that hydraulically forge huge pieces all neat and tidy.

On the other hand, you could do some of this stuff on the farm if you had a couple buddies who were good at running forklifts.

--- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
        -------------------------

Comment

I like the title of the video...…….."allegedly" I have no issue with believing what I saw. I think the heats are too far between, but it is a pretty primitive setup.

I don't hate those people, as individuals. They do have some weird eating habits...…..which has lead to the Corona Virus thing.

What I do hate, is the good ol' American business folks that have outsourced the work to that country, and put our people out of work. It ain't their fault, they just work for a paycheck like we used to.

What does really pizz me off, is that the flange will cost the same as one made here. Somebody's pocketing a good lil' profit along the way.

Comment

Great Videos! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Awesome! It didn't 'allegedly' happen-----if you watched the video, you saw it yourself!

Comment

Working...
              X