Looking for Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Advice

Hello to all, We need some guidance on our project. We are trying to weld 1/2 wide x 1/8 in thick mild steel bars together in one spot. One bar is flat and the other has a bend\curve in it. Our process so far is drilling a hole with a 11/64 bit on the flat piece and laying it on top of the curved piece then filling up the hole with .035 flux weld wire with a 170 amp welder powered by a Generator. We managed to get one practice piece to stick together really well but the other practice pieces didn't hold. The Generator is big enough to power the whole house. The feed speed is set at 6, the polarity has been changed over for the flux wire and seems everything is set up ok. How can we get this weld to stick inside the hole?

Any suggestions would be most helpful
    Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Jessie126 View Post
    Hello to all, We need some guidance on our project. We are trying to weld 1/2 wide x 1/8 in thick mild steel bars together in one spot. One bar is flat and the other has a bend\curve in it. Our process so far is drilling a hole with a 11/64 bit on the flat piece and laying it on top of the curved piece then filling up the hole with .035 flux weld wire with a 170 amp welder powered by a Generator. We managed to get one practice piece to stick together really well but the other practice pieces didn't hold. The Generator is big enough to power the whole house. The feed speed is set at 6, the polarity has been changed over for the flux wire and seems everything is set up ok. How can we get this weld to stick inside the hole?

Any suggestions would be most helpful
    Thanks in advance!
    Why are you asking this question again in a different part of the forum? As I told you before, for a good plug weld, you can't use a small hole! If you do, the arc will go to the sides of the hole and fill the hole from the welding side, before any metal penetrates into the piece underneath.

Enlarge your hole to 3/16" or 1/4" as I told you previously, start your arc in the center of the hole, and weld all around the edge, while filling the hole, keeping the heat focused on the bottom piece initially. If you do this, you will be able to use your 125 amp machine. As I told you in your last post, you needed to change your procedure, not the machine.

Is there some reason why you can not enlarge the hole?
    Last edited by Northweldor; 08-20-2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I already did appologize for the second post, I got held up by something personal in my life. Stuff happens to people you know and I lost my registration info and didn't realize this was the forum I posted on thinking it was a different forum. My bad ok?
      so to answer your question we thought about going with 1/4 size hole but was with a 3/8 hole but the sides of the hole was too far to the side edges and the sides got blown out.
      Thanks for the reply

Comment

Just go faster on the sides. You can slow up on the top or bottom.

Comment

Working...
        X