Question on 2x2x1/8 galvi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on 2x2x1/8 galvi

Hi I am building a car port and wanted to use 2x2x1/8 galvanized steel with no center post. The length between ends is 20’. I will only be using very thin light weight corigated sheets on top of it My question is will I run into any sag in the center or will the 2x2x1/8 do fine ? Only reason I’m going with it is it’s the only thing the metal store seems to have by me in galvanized and I’m by the beach. Any help would be awesome thanks

A 20 foot section of 2x2x1/8th will sag a little just under its own weight. Use one of the truss configurations and you could get by with thinner material but much more of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
      A 20 foot section of 2x2x1/8th will sag a little just under its own weight. Use one of the truss configurations and you could get by with thinner material but much more of it.
      Thank you for your response
      so I have another questions then. If I went with the 2x2 what is the least thickness I could go with and not get sag ?
      And second part is what if I went with like a 2x3 is it stronger and could get away with the 1/8 ? It’s on top of a garage so I’m trying to keep the lbs down

Comment

No one can answer that without a lot more info. I live in a heavy snow area, so our code calls for massive amounts of truss strength. If you lived in Death Valley, you wouild need far less. But look at what your locations's building code calls for. Going for the least amount of strength is probably not a good idea, but hey I'm not an an architect or civil engineer, so I could be wrong
        "never argue with an idiot; he'll bring you down to his level, and win by experience"

Comment

Originally posted by mike landrich View Post
          No one can answer that without a lot more info. I live in a heavy snow area, so our code calls for massive amounts of truss strength. If you lived in Death Valley, you wouild need far less. But look at what your locations's building code calls for. Going for the least amount of strength is probably not a good idea, but hey I'm not an an architect or civil engineer, so I could be wrong
          Well anyone with more knollage then me about deflection could answer it . If this was in a drive way I wouldn’t care about weight but it’s on top of a pony wall on top of a garage on a deck so ! I live in Venice beach I’ve seen others in the hood I’m copying this one

Comment

Originally posted by mike landrich View Post
            Ps it’s not carrying any load

Comment

Originally posted by Fionagrace View Post

Ps it’s not carrying any load
              Yes it is! A structure like this will have considerable dynamic loading from wind, and, if that's fabric, rain as well. Get an engineer's drawing to local code, or face a tear=down! Also, think of liability if this structure takes off in a wind storm and lands on some unsuspecting neighbor!
              Last edited by Northweldor; 09-14-2018, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
                Yes it is! A structure like this will have considerable dynamic loading from wind,...
                My first thought as well. It has to be able to withstand the greatest wind the area will see in 100 years' time. The sag while just sitting there is the least of the worries.

Comment

Working...
                X