Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to purchase project steel

Hi,
    I am a new member and an inexperienced welder so bear with me if my questions are very basic. I purchased a Hobart Handler 210MVP and would like to learn how to weld - as a hobby and for home repairs. I would like to build a welder cart as a first project and I am not sure where to purchase steel in my area as well as what type/grade of steel I should use or inquire about. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am located in Illinois - DuPage County. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Look for "steel sales" or "scrap metal" dealers (don't be to surprised if they wont sell to you, some will some will not) that are local to you in phone book.... Purchasing from "steel sales" you can get a 20 ft length of whatever size for about same price as 4 ft length at Big Box or hardware store... Providing all the new tariff garbage has not screwed with pricing to much.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	hobart.jpg Views:	1 Size:	25.3 KB ID:	700288

This is what I did for welder cart.... It is primarily 1 inch square tubing.. Use largest wheels you can afford/find, little wheels have problems with crap on shop floor... Also you do not move welder/cart by pulling on welding lead, you move cart by hand, so put nice handle on cart...

Link below can take you to a whole lot of different designs and ideas for cart...

http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=welder+cart

Dale
    Last edited by Dale M.; 03-30-2018, 02:19 PM.
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Yeah, got some steel for my projects also from the scrapyard. There's always really good stuff for my artworks lying around there.
      Try to check local listings and Google Maps for local scrapyards in your area

By the way, link tool here has odd behavior?
      Last edited by MetalMarcus; 04-03-2018, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X