Grafting.....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grafting.....?

ok.. to simplify this question.. i read somewhere that it is not so good to weld on say for instance a bar on top of a bar..ie layered. the person saying this was sighting that rust between the layers could become prevalent. i would say that it is more relevant to the coating you are going to put on no matter how the metal is joined.. if it is going to be well sealed with a clean epoxy paint i would think any rust problem would not be any different than any other joint?...

You have been grossly misinformed.

Comment

A partial lap joint is subject to corrosion. Sealed all the way around is better. Way of the world.

Worse is some brazing where the flux may be corrosive in the long term and cannot be readily removed from the joint.
      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
      -------------------------
      DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
      Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Comment

Select the type of weld to suit the strength and use of the item and then figure out how to prevent corrosion. Fully welding is one way but what if you're welding *across* the face of a beam?
        Post-weld corrosion prevention is a major field by itself.

If overlapping is forbidden then so are lap welds, is what it sounds like. The real world says that's bogus.
        CanoeCruiser
        Harris dual-stage O/A
        Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
        Hobart IronMan 210
        Lincoln PowerMig 135
        Miller 3035 spoolgun
        Thermal Arc 185
        Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
        Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
        Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Double rail truck frames are all one inside the other with the edges being open. Certainly they rust and spread with age due to corrosion but it can be controlled, or slowed but nature of the beast as flex scrubs off any protection applied. Keeping the salt washed out will really prolong the life as will oil applied between the layers routinely. Same analogy with stacking strap as mentioned as that practice is performed when fitting dump bodies routinely.
          Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

Working...
          X