Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about square tube for some projects I have going

Hello,
    First post here, looking forward to learning a lot.
    I am planning on building a few storage racks, mainly bookshelves for my "man cave/ office" and was planning on using 1x2" 16ga tube for the vertical parts, and 1" 16ga tube square for the horizontal supports. The total width of the shelves will be 6 feet wide and high.

The other project was a loft bed made from 2" 16ga and 1" 16 ga" for my son.

My question is will 16ga be good?

All the places I have looked are way to technical for me to make sense out of.

I guess what is the strength of different gauges of mild steel.

Originally posted by kitdog View Post
    Hello,
    I am planning on building a few storage racks, mainly bookshelves for my "man cave/ office" and was planning on using 1x2" 16ga tube for the vertical parts, and 1" 16ga tube square for the horizontal supports. The total width of the shelves will be 6 feet wide and high.

Much will depend on your design and weights to be supported, (eg: 6' span of bookcase might need center-support), but 16ga. should be fine in both projects.

Comment

cool, I did kind of figure the bookshelves at 6' would need support in about the middle. But I was also thinking about shortening them to 3' since it will be more efficient use of the wood for the shelve tops.

I have built barn doors for my parents out of 16ga I just didn't know about how much strength it would have for things like bookshelves and a loft bed.

Thank you.
      Last edited by kitdog; 01-21-2016, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Use 1x1 for the verts and 1x2 for the stringers to prevent sag.
        http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Originally posted by kitdog View Post
          Hello,

I realize I am a little late for a response as you posted this in Jan and its nearly May. The 16ga has some limitations but you can "bulk" it by using small gussets on the inside joints, 2"x2" triangle of 16ga or 14ga and just stitch the edges.

Comment

I would use .095 wall thickness for ease of welding and longevity for corrosion . Make sure to close in all tubing ends.
            With wood book shelves they cannot span more than 4 feet.
            So I would keep this to 4 foot spans also.

Comment

Why can't wooden book shelves span more than 4'?

Do you think he didn't finish this project almost two years ago?

Comment

Working...
              X