Square Tube Set-up and Weld

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square Tube Set-up and Weld

I'm welding thicker square tubing for the first time and would like so advice and comments.
    I am doing some practice welds on 3 x 3 x 1/4". I have put a bevel in which leaves about half the material thickness.I'm leaving a gap of about 1/16" between the pieces. I am doing it in two passes , the first a straight pass and the second one a stitch.
    Settings are 4/60 on the 180 machine with .035" wire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0619.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	668183

Name:	IMAG0623.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	668184

Name:	IMAG0629.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	668185

Name:	IMAG0633.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	668186

Name:	IMAG0634.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	668187
    Hobart 180 Handler

Looks good to me. However, I'm curious as to why the gap? In our shop we weld tons of this material weekly and do not gap.

Comment

In theory with thicker materials, the "gap" allows better penetration....

Dale
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Yes I understand, but unless its requested on the shop drawings by the engineer we don't do it. Some engineers are more fussy than others for sure, but only under extreme structural stress do they [rarely] request it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
          In theory with thicker materials, the "gap" allows better penetration....

Dale
          Is it the 1/16" gap you are referring to? Just something I read, I have no experience with this material and am just a rookie welder looking for tips and feedback.
          Is the spatter being produced more than normal and the bevel OK?
          Last edited by GCartwright; 12-22-2014, 05:12 PM.
          Hobart 180 Handler

Comment

Here's and article you may find informative

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...netration.aspx

Comment

At the home/hobby level a small gap leaves a whole lot more adjustability for square, especially after the 1st and/or 2nd tacs. It also helps insure better penetration. Nothing wrong with better than the minimum required. Nothing wrong with extra effort. We're not all in a production environment.

Comment

My instructor would've told me to 'wrap the corners'! Looks good to me otherwise. The other thing with the gap is I think some guys want to see the edges melt so you know you're getting CJP----otherwise you're just assuming! (that's my theory on that anyway)
                Last edited by MarkG; 11-09-2015, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GCartwright View Post
                  I'm welding thicker square tubing for the first time and would like so advice and comments.
                  I am doing some practice welds on 3 x 3 x 1/4". I have put a bevel in which leaves about half the material thickness.I'm leaving a gap of about 1/16" between the pieces. I am doing it in two passes , the first a straight pass and the second one a stitch.
                  Settings are 4/60 on the 180 machine with .035" wire.

[ATTACH]37100[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH]37101[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH]37102[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH]37103[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH]37104[/ATTACH]
                  Fit up looks good. Spatter looks a little excessive, are you using C25 or straight CO2 ?

Comment

Working...
                  X