MIG welding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIG welding question

I'm getting an ARB bumper and I plan on welding D shackle mounts to it. I'm not sure how thick the material is, but from what I've read online the plating it 1/8" thick for other applications that are similar to mine, so thats what I'm going with for the time being until I pick it up and can measure it.

Here is a picture of the mounts:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	668010

Here is an example of what I plan on getting accomplished, however in this picture this person bought a different mount style and just bolted them on. I want to weld them on.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sasser1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	668011

My equipment is a Hobart 140 MIG welder. If the ARB bumper is 1/8 steel then I dont think I will have problems with penetration. However I'm not sure how many passes would suffice here. I was thinking 3, but I wanted the opinion of the experts or any other tips would be helpful as well.

The shackle mounts on my Smitty Built bumpers are machined back on face so there is a plug that goes though a hole in bumper and it is welded from both sides.....

I my first though is HH 140 is a little bit of light weight for job, but if you bevel heavy plate and are very careful about controlling your heat and do multiple pass (3?) you might be ok.....

You might want to test mounts before you are in situation where they are stressed and it puts your vehicle and your body in jeopardy if they break...

Consider the bolt on mounts if you decide the welding operation may not be for you....

I have JEEP Wrangler and it weighs in about 4200 lbs and I have 10,000lb winch on front and was able to double back cable with a sheave block to bumper mount and was not able to move the stump were trying to pull, but we slid JEEP across the ground with out pulling mount off bumper, you might want to test your work before you venture into wilds.....

Dale
    Last edited by Dale M.; 04-02-2014, 09:32 PM.
    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
      The shackle mounts on my Smitty Built bumpers are machined back on face so there is a plug that goes though a hole in bumper and it is welded from both sides.....

I my first though is HH 140 is a little bit of light weight for job, but if you bevel heavy plate and are very careful about controlling your heat and do multiple pass (3?) you might be ok.....

You might want to test mounts before you are in situation where they are stressed and it puts your vehicle and your body in jeopardy if they break...

Consider the bolt on mounts if you decide the welding operation may not be for you....

I have JEEP Wrangler and it weighs in about 4200 lbs and I have 10,000lb winch on front and was able to double back cable with a sheave block to bumper mount and was not able to move the stump were trying to pull, but we slid JEEP across the ground with out pulling mount off bumper, you might want to test your work before you venture into wilds.....

Dale

Someone on another site was telling me that I'd weld the mounts to a 1/4 plate and then weld the plate to the bumper. He was thinking if the ARB is 1/8 then all the heat would warp the **** out of it.

Do you know how much getting this done professionally would cost?

It does suddenly look like this might be out of my skill level. I still would like to get it welded but getting the bolt ones might be the budget friendly way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Sep View Post

Do you know how much getting this done professionally would cost?

It does suddenly look like this might be out of my skill level. I still would like to get it welded but getting the bolt ones might be the budget friendly way to go.
        If you lived by me i would do it for free. Prob would have made you the mounts too...Bob
        Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
        Metal Master Fab
        Salem, Ohio
        Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
        http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

My advice is to make two 1/4" thick plates with 9/16" holes in the corners. Find a competent guy with a real welder and have your purchased tab properly welded to one of the plates. Drill through the bumper and sandwich plate/bumper/plate with 1/2" GR5 fasteners and call it a day you did something correctly.

Having things like this come apart at those really inopportune occasions tends to upset the flow of one's day.
          Mike

sigpic WHEELED VEHICLE SERVICE SINCE 1960

Comment

Make sure all your winch attachment places and bumper mounts are welded well. You do not want a loose strap or cable flying free while winching or strapping another vehicle. Also don’t buy straps with metal ends as the nylon makes like a rubber band under heavy loads.

I was out with a Jeep group and a Ford ¾ ton truck got behind me so I ended up strapping him up a hill which pulled my bumper out of my frame on the side I had the Ford truck attached. I stick welded up my frame with some thick flat washers and put the bumper back. This was years ago. I have since pulled so hard my Jeep rear wheels were up in the air as my rear bumper was strapped to a tree while winching another vehicle up a hill side.
            Last edited by coxhaus; 08-02-2014, 09:24 PM.
            Hobart beta-mig 2510 Mig welder
            Victor OA Welding/Cutting Rig
            Century 295 amp Stick welder bought 30+ years ago

Comment

Working...
            X