Need some help with welding 1/4"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with welding 1/4"

I'm wanting to narrow a rearend housing for my truck. I believe the axle tube thickness is 1/4" mild steel. I checked out the miller welding calculator for settings and if I read it right it says I need 225-300 amps , 1/8" ceriated and 3/16" filler rod to butt weld 1/4" beveled. **** I've never seen 3/16" filler rod let alone used it. Do those settings sound right ? I have a red precision tig 225 so it's not even enough machine to weld 1/4" if the calculator is right. Any help appreciated.

Originally posted by Team_Torch View Post
    I'm wanting to narrow a rearend housing for my truck. I believe the axle tube thickness is 1/4" mild steel. I checked out the miller welding calculator for settings and if I read it right it says I need 225-300 amps , 1/8" ceriated and 3/16" filler rod to butt weld 1/4" beveled. **** I've never seen 3/16" filler rod let alone used it. Do those settings sound right ? I have a red precision tig 225 so it's not even enough machine to weld 1/4" if the calculator is right. Any help appreciated.
    The figure given by the calculator is intended for a single pass. Nothing (but possible distortion) stopping you from doing a multi-pass weld with your machine.

Comment

I think your 225 would work. Try it on some 1/4" and see what you get. If you only get pinhead puddle it won't work but I think you would be ok.

You could stick weld it too.
      Last edited by mikecwik; 11-29-2013, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I'm going to find a rearend somewhere that I can chop up and practice welding on. Trying to stay away from stick welding because I'm better at tig welding. I'll be sure to post some pics when I get something going. Might be helpful to others.

Comment

Won't this be a fillet weld? Don't you grind the weld out to remove the axle flange and reinstall the flange on the shortened axle housing tube?

Comment

Originally posted by Ferntj View Post
            Won't this be a fillet weld? Don't you grind the weld out to remove the axle flange and reinstall the flange on the shortened axle housing tube?
            Not very sure, but most altered axle housings that I've seen done professionally didn't do this, and many flange ends are plug-welded into place.

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
              Not very sure, but most altered axle housings that I've seen done professionally didn't do this, and many flange ends are plug-welded into place.
              Probably only if one has a cast center housing......

dale
              Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

I'm not pulling the tubes out of the center section. Just removing housing ends , shortening housing length then preparing housing ends and axle tubes and butt welding them. Some guys filet weld housing ends. I particularly care for doing it that way. If beveled and welded properly it'll be as strong as it needs to be.

Comment

I'm not pulling the tubes out of the center section. Just removing housing ends , shortening housing length then preparing housing ends and axle tubes and butt welding them. Some guys filet weld housing ends. I particularly care for doing it that way. If beveled and welded properly it'll be as strong as it needs to be.
                  And, welding on the mild steel axle tubes is better better than trying to weld on a casting when you aren't sure what the metallurgy is.

Comment

The difficulty will be keeping the bearing housings straight. Expect to do some straightening after it's welded.
                    Dynasty 300DX
                    MM350P
                    Hobart Handler 120
                    Smith LW7 , AW1A
                    Smith He/Ar gas mixer

Comment

Working...
                    X